Help

How do I prefill linked record with new interface forms?

Topic Labels: Interface Designer
628 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sorapool
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I've watched several videos, and read the documentation. They all say to append "?prefill_MemberID=12345" to the end of the URL for my form. But I'm trying to use the new interfaces, and I'm pretty sure this does not work. I've verified it works in the old forms. But when I 'upgrade' my form to the new interface designer, it stops working.

4 Replies 4

Your best bet is to either use the old form view, or to use Fillout’s advanced forms for Airtable, which lets you update records from a form with no prefilling at all.

There is some sort of a bug in Airtable that prevents the prefilling of linked records in interface forms.

If I remember correctly, if you have certain rules set on your linked record field (in the right margin of the interface form editing screen), then you are no longer able to prefill the form through the URL.

So try removing all the rules in the right margin, and see if that fixes the problem.

If you figure it out, be sure to email support@airtable.com to report it as a bug.

Otherwise, you can either go back to the old forms, or you can update records through a form — without needing to specify any prefill values at all — by using Fillout's advanced forms for AirtableFillout is an advanced form replacement for Airtable that offers dozens of features that Airtable’s native forms don’t offer, including dynamic linked record filters (i.e. dynamic dropdown selections), the ability to update Airtable records from a form without prefilling, the ability to accept payments on forms, the ability to have multi-page forms with conditional paths, the ability to create new linked records on a form, the ability to display Airtable lookup fields & Airtable rollup fields & Airtable attachments & formulas on forms, visually displaying as many fields as you want to see in a linked record selection list (including attachment fields), limiting the number of linked records that can be chosen, and much more.

I give a brief demonstration of Fillout on this episode of the BuiltOnAir Podcast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrqXdRNmQIY&list=PLqssva4liHRwHhQIpTXekG8WObEoyC2F1

airtable #on2air #builtonair 8/8/2023 - BuiltOnAir Live Podcast Full Show - S15-E05 ___________________________ The BuiltOnAir podcast is a live weekly show highlighting everything happening in the Airtable universe. Check us out at BuiltOnAir.com/join. Join our community, join our Slack channel ...

Hmm, I just tested this and it works fine.  Here's an example:
https://airtable.com/appcXaMJes8r6tvCb/pagrmrd11MppM0OMr/form?prefill_Table+1=reclzAX1bvUWRSwJE
Link to base

Could you provide some examples of the full URL you've created that's not working?

Hi Adam @TheTimeSavingCo  - following up on this since there seem to be many people with this issue.  I was able to get mine to work and then it stopped working.  I see yours does work.  I looked at your base as well.

Can you also share your formula for comparison?  Thanks!

Ah, it's just `record_id()`