Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

How to Create a Button That Opens a Specific Record’s Side Panel in an Interface?

Topic Labels: Interface Designer
29 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GrahamW
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hello all!
I’m working with an interface in Airtable where each record has a side panel that opens when I click on it, showing more information related to that record. When I click the link button at the top-right corner of the panel, I get a unique URL that directs me to that record with the side panel already opened, were I to paste it into a new window or share with a colleague.

For example, each record has a unique detail parameter in the URL that seems to encode both the record ID and other information. I’ve tried creating a formula to dynamically generate these URLs based on the RECORD_ID(), but I can't figure out how to replicate the exact structure of the detail parameter that opens the side panel view for each record. I've used AI to try and help, but the best solution proposed so far is manually entering each URL into the field.... Not happening. 

My goal is to create a button (or use a formula) that I can put in another interface page, using the same data(table) as that in the other interface, that will allow me to jump to this other interface with the side panel open for the record associated with it. 

What I’ve Tried:

• I’ve attempted to dynamically construct the URL using RECORD_ID() in a formula, but it only brings me to the main interface page, not to the specific record with the side panel opened.
  • The detail parameter in the URL seems to be more complex than just the RECORD_ID(), possibly involving encoded data that includes other record information.

My Questions:

1. Is there a way to programmatically generate the correct URL (including the detail parameter) for each record’s side panel using a formula or automation?
  2. If not, are there any workarounds (like using Airtable’s API, automations, or external tools) that could help automate this process instead of manually copying each URL?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I’m looking for a scalable solution as I have many records, and manually generating the URLs would be time-consuming.

Thank you thank you thank you!!! 

0 Replies 0