This is the most recent reply I got from support:
[...] I know that there have been a lot of moving parts with this, and while I do not have the definite answer we'd have hoped to share by now, I did reach out to our engineers yesterday on your behalf asking for insight into the progress made on this issue. I'm hoping to hear back shortly if we can bump up the priority on this at all, and I will let you know if I hear a date announced.
I absolutely hear you that this would seem to be a quick fix, though from what I'm hearing, there are a lot of other aspects intertwined with this on the backend, and coupled with the list of other aspects to address, this has unfortunately not been given a firm date for a fix (yet). Though, I did want to touch base and let you know that it is still on our radar and logged for our engineers.