694 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sistema_Aotearo
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

I'm trying to build a system where users can copy a Roll Up/Look Up field of phone numbers directly from their phone. This field often has up to 20+ phone numbers.

My current solution is to set up a pre-filled form that is accessible via mobile, in which the user will be able to highlight the pre-filled text within a single line text (pre-filled with the look-up field data). From here, users will be able to copy the data. It's a bit clunky.

With the introduction of Interfaces on Mobile, I was hoping to build an interface that I could simply display the Roll Up field. However, on mobile, these fields are a bit difficult to copy out. It's still easier to use the Pre-Filled Form where users can "select all" text.

Ideally, there would be a button to just copy text or a better way to display the Look Up/Roll Up fields in a way that's easily selectable to be copied. If anyone has a better suggestion for me rather than using a useless form that would be amazing!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sistema_Aotearo
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

I found a solution to my very specific problem!

I'm using an "SMS URL". Making some roll up fields and formulas, I'm able to open the SMS app with the numbers loaded in straight from the interface with the click of a button!

I used a formula to get my result.

CONCATENATE("sms://open?addresses="&{Rollup Phone Numbers}&"?&body=")

My rollup is just showing all my scheduled people's phone numbers with a ", " separator

ARRAYJOIN(values,", ")

Using this formula as a URL opens the messages app on my iPhone and loads all the numbers in!
So on my interface, I tried connecting a button type "Go to URL in Record". However, upon testing, it seems there's a limit to how many characters this URL can have. Since I have quite a few phone numbers in this URL, it made this option invalid.

My workaround is to just have a button field with the formula and insert this button into my interface.
I would love to have the interface button instead in the future, but this works great for now!

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3
Sho
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

One idea is to send it to an email.
"<a href="tel:xxx">xxx</a>" would also allow for click to call.

The markdown on Airtable does not allow "tel:", but it does in the email.

Sistema_Aotearo
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Thanks Sho. I think I'm able to do click-to-call from my phone on individual numbers. However, sending the field data directly to my phone isn't a bad idea. I'll have to play with this concept a bit.

I'm actually just trying to copy all the numbers and paste them into my SMS field on my phone. Just to send a group text to people scheduled for an event.

My reasoning for the Pre-Filled Form is because of the quirks of trying to copy text from a phone. Unless in an editable text box, the option to "Select All Text" doesn't exist. It'll require me to drag the highlighted zones.

Sistema_Aotearo
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

I found a solution to my very specific problem!

I'm using an "SMS URL". Making some roll up fields and formulas, I'm able to open the SMS app with the numbers loaded in straight from the interface with the click of a button!

I used a formula to get my result.

CONCATENATE("sms://open?addresses="&{Rollup Phone Numbers}&"?&body=")

My rollup is just showing all my scheduled people's phone numbers with a ", " separator

ARRAYJOIN(values,", ")

Using this formula as a URL opens the messages app on my iPhone and loads all the numbers in!
So on my interface, I tried connecting a button type "Go to URL in Record". However, upon testing, it seems there's a limit to how many characters this URL can have. Since I have quite a few phone numbers in this URL, it made this option invalid.

My workaround is to just have a button field with the formula and insert this button into my interface.
I would love to have the interface button instead in the future, but this works great for now!