Help

Re: Have customers update their own records through unique link + form?

1721 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JanBolmeson
5 - Automation Enthusiast

We would appreciate help with this scenario - and we can pay if somebody can help us with it. We have several bases where we have e.g customer info. Sometimes we do a campaign where we send out a link to a form where we want the customer to get back to us with specific info.

This works excellently. The design is basically

Table #1 Customers

• Primary key
  • Custom info #1
  • Custom info #2
  • Link to CustomerResponses

Table #2 CustomerResponses

• Primary key
  • Link to Customers
  • Custom info #3

Form in Table #2

• Link to customers (=shows the +Add button and all customers according to Primary Key)
  • Custom info #3

Now, the problem. In order for this to work, in the form we need to show ALL the records. Hence our customers can view each other, which is not great. We would like to be able to SKIP the “Link to customers” (i.e. the +Add-button) and replace it with a unique link to the form instead where the unique link defines the primary key.

Hence, each customer would only get a form with “Custom info #3”. Is this possible?

8 Replies 8

@JanBolmeson - what I tend to do in these cases (but it is dependent upon the data you have), is make the customers enter a unique key in the form in a single line text field. Email address is great for this as most people have them and rarely spell them incorrectly.

Then when the record comes in to the responses table use an Airtable automation to copy the email text response into a linked field, connecting table 2 with table 1. This assumes that email is the primary key on your customers table.

Screenshot 2022-06-22 at 20.32.58

Hi @JanBolmeson, this is not possible with forms at the moment. You can pass a unique link, but only if you keep your linked field (and hence it doesn’t make sense for you).

My suggestion goes in the direction of @JonathanBowen: Get the customer to enter a unique identifier, which can be used to match that customer between your two tables. Email address works well for this of course, but if you don’t want that it can also work with other details (full name, company name, …). I think writing a small script makes more sense than copying data over via automation, as it’s easier to prevent duplicate records being created (in cases where script doesn’t match, it would notify you for instance).

@JanBolmeson Alternatively, you can always have customers update their own records directly by paying extra money for an external portal tool such as MiniExtensions.com.

Thanks for the reply, this is actually very similar to what we use at the moment. :slightly_smiling_face: Just thought I missed something in the docs.

Thanks I will check this out. :thumbs_up:

ChrisDrit
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

You didn’t specifically mention this, but I’ll just throw this out there…

With a Webflow account and using a glue service like Make, you could definitely do this. The Webflow CMS gives you a unique url for each item you add to it, so you could definitely send a customer to a page with a form for “Custom info #3” only.

JanBolmeson

Thank you for your kind replies. More than I hoped for. :blush: :pray:

Hi @JanBolmeson

Airtable’s Form feature includes the option to pre-fill fields via a URL parameter AND to hide said pre-filled field - for example, this URL links to a form for one of my test bases and fills in and hides the Project field:

https://airtable.com/shrmllHVsG8klygPB?prefill_Project=New%20one&hide_Project=true

You can construct the URL in a simple formula field so that you have a link to use for each customer.

Here is more documentation on this:

Hope this helps!

Julian

This is the way, genius.