cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
orlibrary
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello, friends.

I have two tables. Unfortunately I can't change how they're structured, or I would. So I'd love some advice on getting what I need from this setup.

The first table, "readers," shows a "profile owner" associated with a "branch." Then there's a list of readers in the third column, titled "reader name." I need to associate those readers with their branch so I can show how many readers there are per branch in an interface report.

table-readers.png

The second table, "totals," shows an aggregate of how many readers are associated with each profile owner. But in the "totals" table no branch is listed.

table-totals.png

I'm hoping that I can choose "totals" as the source for my "readers per branch" element by matching "first name" to "profile owner" from the "readers" table. This would create links between "number of readers" in the "totals" table and "branch" from the "readers" table.

I hope I'm explaining it well. It's complicated. I searched through the community, help docs, etc. to no avail. Perhaps one of you can save the day?

Thanks so much in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Hmm, could I check whether you're familiar with linked records?

Could you try adding a linked field in your 'Readers" table that links to the "Totals" table?  After that, still in your "Readers" table, try pasting the value from the "First Name" field into the linked field to the "Totals" table, which should link the records up

Finally, in your "Totals" table, add a lookup field that will display the "Branch" field from the "Readers" table

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Hmm, could I check whether you're familiar with linked records?

Could you try adding a linked field in your 'Readers" table that links to the "Totals" table?  After that, still in your "Readers" table, try pasting the value from the "First Name" field into the linked field to the "Totals" table, which should link the records up

Finally, in your "Totals" table, add a lookup field that will display the "Branch" field from the "Readers" table

Hi, Adam. I read a little about linked records but don't quite understand how to properly connect the dots. I'll read more at the link you provided then try your suggested solution. I appreciate your explaining it clearly. Thanks!

No worries!  If you invite me to your base I can set it up for you real quick if you'd like

orlibrary

Wow. That totally worked. Thanks!