cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peter_Boychuk
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Airtable Friends!

I have a linked field that is pulling records from our vendor database, which lives in a separate workspace. This database contains a master list of vendors, which admins update when a new vendor enters the game.

In our main working base that contains the linked field, daily users can then add vendors to a specific record if they are part of that job.

I need to check off that the vendor has been onboarded in a field next to the linked field which contains the vendors name. So I’m wondering if it’s possible to:

-when a user adds a vendor name to our linked field, could it populate a multi-select field with the vendors name as an option? even better, a checkbox field.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you just add the field to the Update Record step but don’t put anything in it, it should clear the value.

See Solution in Thread

15 Replies 15

You could add an Automation set up like this:

Trigger: When the Record Link field is not empty (or when Record Link field is updated)
Action: Update Record and set the checkbox to checked.

If you wanted to use a multiselect field, adjust the Action to insert the value of the Link field by clicking the gear icon next to the field, click dynamic, and select the appropriate field to pull from

Peter_Boychuk

Amazing, thank you for this! Quick question - the automation is running successfully, but it adds the vendor name to the multi-select field right away. is there a way for it to just add the vendor name in the dropdown list, then a user can manually select that vendor once they complete onboarding?

This is going to sound silly because it is: Add another Update Record step after that to clear the value of the field.

Otherwise you could replace the Update Record step with a script that adds the new Link Record’s name as an option to he multiselect field

Automation scripts cannot add options to multiselect fields. Button scripts can add options, and the “Update Record” automation action can. But automation scripts cannot.

Peter_Boychuk

Copy, thanks! Not seeing an option anywhere in the Automation interface that would allow we me clear the information in a field though.

If you just add the field to the Update Record step but don’t put anything in it, it should clear the value.

That works! Thank you again for all of your help!

Peter_Boychuk

Last question…promise. :slightly_smiling_face:

If the linked record is blank, the automation runs no problem, but how do i get it to also run when i enter a second linked item in that field? Ultimately, the linked record field and the multi-select field should mirror each other. When a vendor’s onboarding is successful, i can then “check” them off as complete.

Change the trigger from “record matches conditions” to “record is updated” and watch for changes to the Link Field

Holy awesomeness, thank you again! Is there a way to add a “condition” that would not clear the multi select field if there is info in there already?

i.e. add vendor #1, automation runs, adds vendor 1 to multi select then clears that field. vendor 1 passes inspection and i add them back to multi select field manually. vendor 2 signs on, i add them to linked record, but the automation now clears vendor 1 from multi select field.

Instead of putting nothing in the second Update Record step, use the value that field of the record from the trigger. Essentially, you’re saying “put whatever the multiselect value the automation started with back into the field”.

so i’ve made that step dynamic and added the linked vendor field as the option, but now it pretty much mirrors the linked field over to the multi select field when i add/remove linked records.

generally, the functionality i’m looking for is, if i add a linked record to a field, it’ll auto populate my multi select list for me, but any other manual adds/edits to the multi select field a user makes are not affected.

i.e. - if its easier, is there a way where i could have a multi select field sync to a table of records and have it mirror each other?

Your first Update Record step should do this. Your second Update Record step should insert the value of the Multiselect field.

No, at the point why not just use a second Link Records field?

ooo i love the simplicity of the 2nd linked record field. clean and simple! thank you again for all of your help.

mpstaton

It's stupid Airtable doesn't allow you to get records from one table and make them Select options for a field in another record. There are so many questions about this. None helpful.