cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Panpi_Daguerre
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello Airtable Community !

I have a very simple question but can’t find a solution.
When i create a new line in a Table, i want my status colunm (single choice field) to be the “live” by default (the first choice in the single choice field)

4 Replies 4
Nick_Dennis
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Since there’s not currently a “default value” option for fields, automation is probably the best way to handle this. It takes a few seconds sometimes to run after you create a new record, but should be able to populate a field and function just like a “default” option would.

For the automation trigger, you’d probably use a simple “When a record is created” for the appropriate table. Then for Action, you’d choose “Update Record”, with that same table chosen. You’ll need to select the Record ID from step 1 (should be the 1st variable in the list), to match the trigger to the action. Then you’ll just need to add the Status field, and type in “live” as the value.

I’d suggest testing each step as you create the automation, but this should functionally get you to a “default value”.

Hey Nick, thanks a lot for your answer !
I’ll try that with a Zapier automation :slightly_smiling_face:

Happy to help, @Panpi_Daguerre!

One note, you can actually do this with Airtable’s built-in automations now (very similar to Zapier). It’s located in the top right of any base, like Apps.

If you have enough Airtable automation runs, you are better off with an Airtable automation. With an Airtable automation, the value is set almost immediately. With a Zapier automation, you will have to wait 1-15 minutes before the value is set, which can be confusing from a user point of view.