Help

Re: Best way to organize data where only some rows require additional notes?

2130 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Heirtable
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Let’s say I have a list of Artist / Track / Link and I want to store it in Airtable. I know that would be easy with a 3 column table in some base.

But let’s say I wanted to add notes to some of the rows. For example, for some rows I might want to add extra information about the track. This would be for some rows but not all rows.

I know I could use a table with 4 columns, like this:

Track | Artist | Link | Notes

But if most of the Notes fields are going to be empty that seems like an odd/inefficient way to do this.

What is the best way to do this?
Thanks much.

33 Replies 33

That’s not inefficient — that’s how a database works! You can always create a view which hides the notes field if you don’t want to see it, but that would probably make things even more confusing.

Really? I’m no expert but I don’t think that is how all databases work. It seems pointless to have a column that will have tons of empty fields. Why not just store the data that’s wanted?

I feel like there is a 2 table solution here, I just don’t know what it is. If someone knows pls let me know!

So you want to create ANOTHER table with ANOTHER field, and then potentially link it to your first table for yet ANOTHER field (a lookup field)? Sounds super efficient. :joy:

If this is your motivational speaking technique in action then I would suggest you go back to the drawing board! :cowboy_hat_face:

Ha! I wasn’t trying to motivate you there, I was trying to stop you from overthinking the solution which you already figured out.

Now THIS is some of my motivational speaking technique in action:

Perhaps you can create a magic question about your database!

I’ll watch your vid later…with a gin & tonic to take off the edge.

Returning to the problem…I contend I was not overthinking. I was merely offering what really amounts to a hack by way of illustrating I thought about the problem. I am sure there is someone who knows Airtable who could offer the “correct” way to do what I describe, rather than adding a mostly empty column to a table.

Perhaps — let’s see what ideas other people come up with!

Well, there you have it :expressionless: :smiling_face_with_halo:

So the best solution is to add the extra column that contains mostly empty fields? Just trying to get to the right way of doing things!