Help

Re: Change linked field for a record without changing that field for other records.

Solved
Jump to Solution
406 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MyersVx
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

So my title may not make much sense, but here is what I have going on.

I have a base that has 2 tables. I have a building table and I have a Tasks table. I have them linked in that some tasks are needed in multiple buildings, so when a task is created it can be assigned to any building that needs that task. However, what I want to be able to do is make a building specific note for each task that only shows for that building

As a hypothetical example: I create the task "add signage" and it can be assigned to building A, Building B, Building C, but not D or E, etc.

In addition on the "tasks" table I have a "notes" field, and a "status" field for each of the tasks, So I can say "label needs to say "welcome in"" or something like that and know if it is "to do" "in progress" or "done". 

Here is the part that gets sticky; when I am looking at the buildings page (and it is linked to the tasks page, and have notes show (with a lookup field)) it will show me the notes for any linked task. If I expand the record for building A, and select the "add signage" task, I want to be able to put in a note that says "needed in room 205" that only shows on the "building A" "add signage" task. so that I can open the record for "building B" and leave a note that says "needed in front lobby" that then only shows on the "building B" "add signage" task. but once I close out of adding a note for building A that note shows up on building B as well.

Is there any way to have building specific notes for tasks linked from the tasks table?

Thanks in advance for any help with this situation.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Some possibilities:

- Have a new unique task record for each building. If you need to "Add Signage" to builds A, B, and C, you would have three "Add Signage" tasks instead of just one.

- If you really want a single "Add Signage" task, but need to store different info for each building to which the task applies, you need a junction table.

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Some possibilities:

- Have a new unique task record for each building. If you need to "Add Signage" to builds A, B, and C, you would have three "Add Signage" tasks instead of just one.

- If you really want a single "Add Signage" task, but need to store different info for each building to which the task applies, you need a junction table.

Having looked at other similar questions I was afraid that would be the case. 

Now I get to learn about junction tables. Thank you