cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Manuel_Gnerlich
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello everybody,

at first I set one column in my table 1 so that I can link it to items of records from a different table 2 (via multi-linking to record). Then I wish to fill a different column in table 1 through rollup function with another matching item of the same records from table 2. Problem is, that the order inside the rollup column is automatically opposite to the order in the first column linking to the record. I would like to have the same order in both columns, but I cannot set anything about the order connected to the rollup function.

Can anybody help, please?

19 Replies 19
Loic_Sanchez
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hello @Manuel_Gnerlich,

Are you using the ARRAYJOIN(values) or CONCATENATE(values) function for the aggregation function?
I experience the same behavior, the Rollup values are ordered in the opposite order of the multi-link column. I believe we could reach out to the support helpdesk in this case.

So apparently, the batch update Block can sort links in either ascending or descending order, so this is a workaround for now.

Hello @Loic_Sanchez

yes, I am using CONCATENATE(values). It is not working.

I got a message from support team.That bug is in to-do-list. We have to wait.

Joel_Ronne
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I am waiting along with everyone else.

I’ve also come across this problem and would like to add my support for a resolution.

I have a related question, what determines the order of items in a multi-link field (and hence the opposite order in a Rollup of that field)? My guess is it seems to be creation date of the linked record, is that correct? It would be great to be able to influence the ordering, with options such as alphabetic, date modified, or matching the order in a view.

Matt_Krandel
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Has anyone figured out how to customize the order or a roll up (preferably by date created)… This is imperative when trying to export this field as a data input for external applications…

What am I missing, it must be possible?

Olivia_Fagan

I also wish this could be fixed. My use case is for contact info. For example, my linked field will have “John Doe” then “Jane Doe”. Then I’ll have either a rollup or lookup field for their phone numbers and emails. In those rollup/lookup fields, the order of the contact info is for Jane then John instead of John then Jane.

This makes it a bit confusing, especially in page designer when exporting for 3rd parties.

SergioCodes
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Still waiting for the solution :frowning: are we on the correct channel ? shouldn´t we report this on any other channel?

There are two issues here, and both have solutions:

• Inconsistent order of linked records in different field types (linked record, vs, formulas, vs lookups). This has been fixed as described in this support article.

• Sorting linked records in rollups. The order in the rollup is the same as the order the linked record. You can automatically sort the order using the Batch Update block, as mentioned earlier in this thread. (The main caveat is that linked records can only be sorted one way, so all rollups for the linked record must have the same sort.)