Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

Convert a Comma Separated List field into either a link to another record or multiple select field

Topic Labels: Data
158 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Taout
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have a field that is a string of comma separated text values (two actually...one I created using a concatenate formula, and the other was created with a rollup field...I was trying to see if one of those would work better than the other).

I need to convert either one of them into either a "link to another record" field, or a "multiple select" field in order to send those items into a Webflow Multi-Reference field in a collection. Right now, Webflow will not separate the comma separated list into individual values (that I'm aware of). 

Help!

2 Replies 2

Try using an automation to paste the string into a linked field / multi select field?  That should convert it as needed

@Taout 

You have several different ways of doing this:

1. One-time-only conversion: Simply convert the text field to a linked record field.

2. Ongoing conversion: Create an automation to update the linked record field with the values from the text field (i.e. this is essentially the equivalent of copying and pasting the values).

3. Ongoing: Automatically bring the values into the linked record field directly from WebFlow. You can do this by using Make’s WebFlow automations and Make’s Airtable integrations to bring the comma-separated array of values directly into the linked record field. (Be sure to turn on “Smart Links” at the bottom of the update record module or else you can’t bring in brand new values.)

If you’ve never used Make before, I’ve assembled a bunch of Make training resources in this thread.

For example, here is how you would instantly trigger a Make automation from Airtable by using a custom webhook.

I also give live demonstrations of how to use Make in many of my Airtable podcast appearances here.

For example, in this video, I show how to work with complex arrays in Make.

.Hope this helps!

— ScottWorld, Expert Airtable Consultant