cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaleece_Haas
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi All!

I am creating a form in Airtable and would love to allow users to see specific text based on their responses. I am familiar with using conditional form fields, but they seem to be limited to fields that require a response. I’d like to do something similar, but just with next that would inform the form user.

Does anyone know if this is an existing functionality or if there are plugins to make it possible?

Thank you!

2 Replies 2

Welcome to the community, @Shaleece_Haas! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes:

Unfortunately this feature doesn’t currently exist for Airtable forms. All form items tie directly to table fields, so the only thing you can conditionally show based on the user’s form entry is another table-related field. One way to work around this would be to use the “help” text that you’re allowed to add to any form item as the response to the user. Here’s a quick example that I threw together using a checkbox field. Here’s how it looks in the form setup.

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 8.47.00 PM

I changed the item name from its actual field name to a long string of underscores, and started the help text with a blank line, which makes it feel less like an actual form item and more like informational text. The checkbox might actually mean something to the form, or it could just be a dummy item and you don’t really care what the user does with it.

Here’s how it looks when the user fills out the form:

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 8.49.56 PM

If this solution isn’t acceptable, then your best bet is to start looking at third-party form solutions that can tie in with Airtable. There are several, but one of the most popular and reliable is JotForm, especially when married with @openside’s On2Air: Forms system.

Airtable doesn’t support plugins, I’m afraid. Aside from what can be done internally via scripting, automations, and custom apps, the default behavior and design of Airtable can’t be changed.

Thanks, Justin. This is super helpful!