Help

Welcome to the Airtable Community! If you're new here, check out our Getting Started area to get the most out of your community experience.

Date format for formula not formatted correctly and cannot change format

Topic Labels: Dates & Timezones
Solved
Jump to Solution
395 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I created a formula to add 3 weeks to a date that I capture elsewhere in my table, and added an IF blank statement, so if there is no date it won’t show anything:

IF({Date Intake Completed}=BLANK(),0,DATEADD({Date Intake Completed},21,‘days’))

The formula is working, but the output format is not what I’d like: 2021-05-19T00:00:00.000Z, I would prefer 05-19-2021, or something like that.

When I try to change the format though, I get this message: Your result type is not a number or a date. Formatting options are currently only available if your result type is a number or a date.

The output is a date, so I am not sure why I am not given the option to update the format.

Appreciate any help! I am new to Airtable and this is my 1st formula, so hoping I can get it working.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chris-T
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Laurence. The problem is that your IF statement can return a 0 or a date. All you have to do is rearrange your logic in the IF like

IF({Date Intake Completed}, DATEADD({Date Intake Completed},21,‘days’))

This formula says that if {Date Intake Completed} is not empty, then return your new date, otherwise return nothing. This should allow you to go into the formatting tab and do away with the time part of the date/time.

Good luck!

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
Chris-T
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Laurence. The problem is that your IF statement can return a 0 or a date. All you have to do is rearrange your logic in the IF like

IF({Date Intake Completed}, DATEADD({Date Intake Completed},21,‘days’))

This formula says that if {Date Intake Completed} is not empty, then return your new date, otherwise return nothing. This should allow you to go into the formatting tab and do away with the time part of the date/time.

Good luck!