Help

Does the content of shared table view links auto-update?

5590 12
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jaanus_Kase
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I want to show a shared table view with shared table view link at the office on a TV in Kiosk mode. I have a Raspberry Pi running a browser in Kiosk mode to power the TV.

Here’s the question: does the shared view auto-update itself?

If I just leave running on TV, and then edit some info in my computer, are those edits reflected on the TV? I guess I could hack the browser to automatically refresh itself, but it would be more convenient if the shared links already worked like that :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Replies 12

Yes, as said in the help article:

Hello Elias, I’ve read the article many times, I’ve looked anywhere, but I found no help in having a shared view to auto-update. Please notice we are talking about shared VIEW, not BASE, thus, no log-in from the viewer. If I share a base with a user he can see my entire base, which is a NO go for me.

I hope you can help, thank in advance.

Shared views update as well.

ivan_paudice
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Man , i’ve tried so many times… I’d be so happy you were right. Unfortunately they don’t. Monday morning I’ll make a video from the office demonstrating it.

I think I misunderstood. Both shared views and tables update on page refresh. If you want to share ‘live’ edits, you would have to share the whole base in ‘Read Only’. I know you don’t want to share the whole base, so you/the person you’re sharing the table with will have to stick to refreshing the page.

It’s something of a kludge — ok, it is a kludge — but a painless work-around is to use an automatic refresh extension in the browser. You can find a [rather verbose, admittedly] discussion of the problem and potential solutions in this earlier post.

ivan_paudice

@W_Vann_Hall we have developed a dashboard for a client, something with this structure (but of course different content). The client will share this dashboard internally in the company. There is simply no WAY to ask the client to instruct every employee to install a plug-in e set it up. It is a large corporation.

@Kamille_Parks We implemented a workaround on refreshing and updating the data.
When there is inactivity on the page for a certain amount of time, as soon as the user starts interacting with the page again (mouse movement or keyboard press) the page refreshes right away. In that way, they have the data refreshed before starting to interact again with it.
The following code refreshes the page if the user is inactive for more than 1 minute. It is easily customisable by changing the seconds (60000sec = 1min)

//REFRESH on inactivity
 var time = new Date().getTime();
  var yetVisited = localStorage['visited'];
 //var count = 0;

$(document.body).bind("mousemove keypress", function(e) {
            if(new Date().getTime() - time >= 60000) {
         window.location.reload(true);
      } else {
     time = new Date().getTime();
     }

});

All the plugin does is implement a timed window reload. If you’re using an embedded view, you should be able to accomplish something similar using meta refresh — which might be less annoying than refreshing on inactivity, since the user wouldn’t typically have to wait for the page to reload. The OP had a situation where they needed to refresh a shared base, not a shared view.

Hey. I’ve noticed that the share link also doesn’t refresh right away even when the page is refreshed. Is the data push to the link on a timer? Or is it a caching issue ?