1760 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kentarou_Dobash
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Is it possible to export the data operated by airtable with CSV etc.? Is it possible to migrate to an external database immediately?

16 Replies 16

thank you for your reply!
With Sequin, I can safely migrate from airtable, right?

If I want to migrate after synchronizing with an external database with Sequin, can I separate it from the data in airtable?
If it stays synchronized, the data of airtable will be reflected.

I believe you could use Sequin as a way to export and utilize your Airtable data in any way you might choose. But, you should check with the folks at Sequin like @Eric_Goldman.

Thank you for your reply.

I am happy that Sequin can export from airtable. I’ll ask @Eric_Goldman. thank you.

@Bill.French - thank you! This is a great use case for Sequin - appreciate the kind support as always :pray:

@Kentarou_Dobashi, yes, Sequin will allow you to sync all your Airtable data to a Postgres database. Many people use Sequin to enhance their Airtable base - using both Airtable and their database simultaneously. But if you need an escape hatch, then yes, you can set up the sync to get the data into Postgres and then run a pg_dump to get all the data out.

I’d like to make sure you get set up properly - so feel free to shoot me a DM or email me directly: eric@sequin.io.

And this is where I need to make some general business observations.

1. I like the term “escape hatch”. While Airtable itself is not likely fond of any of us talking about an escape hatch on their community (no less), confident companies will openly engage in supporting this concept because it is prudent and rational IT planning. Everyone should be concerned with an escape mechanism and I have a hunch even Airtable itself buys IT services and considers exactly this issue. In my view, Airtable is so good for what it does and what it costs, it should never fear this conversation.

2. If you are concerned about record limits in Airtable, you may be designing your data model with some flaws. I recommend getting a data modelling expert to take a look at your approach.

3. Let’s assume you are forced at some time in the future to use Sequin as an escape pod from Airtable; then what? My thinking is you should plan now for ways you can extend Sequin as your future back end. Sure, an SQL platform is capable of exporting the data, but that’s not really the challenge when you must pull the rip-cord. You need to ponder the complete strategy and I think Sequin also has the capacity to do far more than escape from a platform that has outlived its value.

Thank you for your polite reply.

I understand that Sequin is in sync with the Postgres database and can be migrated.

The question was still in the examination stage, so I will contact you when introducing it.

thank you.

Thank you for your detailed advice.

I’m not a programmer. I plan to develop with a no-code app. When it’s time to move, I’ll ask an expert to move.

thank you.