cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rachel_Gammon
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello,

I have lots of tabs for different locations of a tour plus a tab for tasks. In each location table I can see all my tasks associated with each record of the project. However once a task is completed I want to be able to hide it from the table view. Basically I want it to be clear at a glance where there is work to do in each location. I have worked out how to filter tasks by their status in the Task tab but seem to be unable to do so in the other tables.
When I click ‘Filter’ then ‘Tasks’ the options reduce down to only: Contains, Does not contain, Empty, Is not empty. When I type Completed nothing happens.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thank you

10 Replies 10

Hi @Rachel_Gammon - in the locations tables when you filter on “tasks” you are filtering on the task name (or ID) or if it is empty or not. You need to get the task status into the location table using a lookup field:

The lookup will be based on the linked field (in this case, the task).

Once you’ve got this in the locations table you will be able to filter by its values (“in progress”, “completed” etc)

JB

Thank you! That worked a treat :slightly_smiling_face:

This is exactly what I need too - I just need to hide the tasks in the table as they are completed, but I can’t quite figure it out based on the instructions. (I know it’s user error.) I added a “task status” column to my table, that was a lookup on the “complete” checkmark in the task table that I thought you meant I’d filter on. However now I just have a column that has check marks in it when tasks are comleted. (For instance, if a row has three tasks associated with it and two are done, the “task status” column just has two checks in in. If I try to filter on that status, it just deletes any record that includes any complete tasks, which doesn’t work at all. Any clarification/help you can give me will be appreciated!!!

Hi @Renate_Jones - tbh, I can’t remember now exactly what was going on here and I don’t have an example base to refer to. Can you give more details about you base set-up - tables, links etc?

Looking at your comments and looking back at the previous comments, I don’t think I would set up the base as has been described - there might be a better way to do this. If you can give some more details of your scenario that would be helpful.

JB

Thank you Jonathan! I’m sorry I missed your response & I appreciate your help!!! I just used the “project tracker” template I found in Airtable (which I modified a bit for our small architectural firm). In that template, under the “Design Projects” tab, the first row for “coffee packaging” has one task: “research other coffee packaging”. If you check the “completed” check box for that task, it stays visible on the table. If you go to the “Tasks” tab, you can filter out completed tasks…but if you try to filter our completed tasks on the Design Projects table, it will remove any row/project that includes a completed task.

When you are looking at the table, there’s no way to distinguish completed tasks from completed without opening up the row, and looking through all the tasks, which is causing a problem in meetings. We have the same need the previous person was requesting: “Basically I want it to be clear at a glance where there is work to do in each location. I have worked out how to filter tasks by their status in the Task tab but seem to be unable to do so in the other tables.” I also have to print a version of the table for meetings & I have since discovered this causes a printing problem in that every task, regardless of its completed status, is being printed. That will not work in the long run as the tasks pile up. I want to be able to keep the task history while hiding completed tasks in table view, but unless I can find some way to handle this, it looks like I will just have to delete them after completion. Any help is appreciated!

@Renata_Lucia I’m digging back through older threads I was watching, and don’t see a resolution to this issue. Do you still need help?

Hi! I did! It was this-which I never could have figured out myself:

Jeremy_Oglesby Community Leader
March 4
I think you need to use the concept of a conditional rollup.

In your tasks table, have a formula field that returns the Task name or description only if the task is NOT marked complete.

IF(NOT(Completed), Description)

And then in your Projects table, create a Rollup field that rolls up that conditional field from the Tasks table, with an ARRAYCOMPACT(values) rollup function. Now you’ll need to use this rollup field to display Tasks in a Project, instead of the Linked record field.

Hi Renata, I think that might the solution to my problem, too (same as mentioned above, cannot filter out completed tasks from “all projects” view in the projects tab). However, I’m really new to these things and if I add the rollup and put in IF(NOT(Completed), Description)
it does not know what to do with it, so I guess “description” was a place holder? What should I put in there? Sorry, I am really slow with IT.

I think you misinterpreted where that’s placed. If you reread the comment from @Renata_Lucia, that formula goes into a formula field in the table where the rolled-up data is coming from. {Description} is a field in that target table.

That’s how to set up the rollup field to pull in those descriptions.

Does that make sense?