Help

How can I trigger email automation based on inactivity on an activity table?

Topic Labels: Views
803 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dave_Sheppard
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi. I have a daily activity table, which I populate via a form (health tracker). I have several views against this table which show certain types of activity filtered for the last week - which I then use an email automation to send back targeted messages. All works great.

However, I don’t know how to respond to inactivity. So if I don’t populate the form for a week (and therefore the table doesn’t have any entries for the last X days, how can I detect this (so that I can automate an email to remind the user to populate it again).

Is there something with a max created timestamp, and then a logic check against this? Email automation is focused on a record being created or updated - I can’t think how to automate based on the absence of rows.

Hope this makes sense - trying to prove this on my basic plan (for my MVP) before committing to a paid plan.

Many thanks for any assistance.

2 Replies 2

I don’t think you can do this with one table, but you can do it with 2 tables.

You would create a parent record in one table that is linked to all of its children activity records in the activities table.

Then, you would create a rollup field in your parent table to give you the “maximum date” of all the activities that it is linked to.

Then, you would create a formula field that would compare the number of days between the maximum date and TODAY().

Then you could trigger an automation based on the value of that formula field (or create a view filtered by that formula field).

Dave_Sheppard

Many thanks @ScottWorld - I’ll give this a go (albeit quite new to Airtable).