Help

Re: How do add info to an existing row with a second form?

Solved
Jump to Solution
2397 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
karismaliving
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hey everyone,

I have a temporary accommodation that people apply to.

All of my applicants are stored on my Airtable in tab #1 (Applications) once they apply with form #1, which I use as my CRM.

Once an applicant is accepted, I send this person form #2 asking for the exact move in/out dates and other valuable information using another form.

Currently, I'm using tab #2 (Residents) within the same base to store that info and I'm wondering whether:

• there's a way to put all of the info from form #2 into the existing row that was created with row #1 or
  • I should use another alternative, such as using a List view to combine both of these areas

Thank you very much for your help!

Cheers,

Marc from Barcelona

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
TheTimeSavingCo
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Hmm, do the records in "Applications" and "Residents" share a unique ID?  If they do, once you link the appropriate records together you could create lookup fields inside "Applications" that will display the fields from "Residents" that you want?

You could also do the linking automatically via automations too

See Solution in Thread

Yeap, email would work great as the unique ID

re: How can you link them automatically via automations? That sounds interesting.
You'd create an automation that would trigger when form #2 is submitted, and it would have a "Find Record" action that would look for a record in "Applications" with the same email address, followed by an "Update Record" action that would link the triggering record to the found record's ID

See Solution in Thread

10 Replies 10
TheTimeSavingCo
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Hmm, do the records in "Applications" and "Residents" share a unique ID?  If they do, once you link the appropriate records together you could create lookup fields inside "Applications" that will display the fields from "Residents" that you want?

You could also do the linking automatically via automations too

@TheTimeSavingCo thank you so much for your help!

How can you link them automatically via automations? That sounds interesting.

In terms of the unique ID, Applications uses the first name and Residents the full name. Is there a better way? Maybe the email address?

If so, can I still change the unique ID?

Thank you!

Yeap, email would work great as the unique ID

re: How can you link them automatically via automations? That sounds interesting.
You'd create an automation that would trigger when form #2 is submitted, and it would have a "Find Record" action that would look for a record in "Applications" with the same email address, followed by an "Update Record" action that would link the triggering record to the found record's ID

karismaliving

@TheTimeSavingCo how can I change the unique ID of an existing table?

Thank you so much for your help!

Hm what do you mean by "unique ID of an existing table"?  Could you provide a screenshot?

I mean the very first column that cannot be changed. In my case, it's the "First name", which is not unique because other people in the CRM have the same name.

Ah I see.  That's alright, the first column doesn't need to be the unique ID.  As long as both tables contain the unique ID (in our case, the email) you can use automations to find the appropriate record via the unique ID and link them together

karismaliving

@TheTimeSavingCo you're a legend ❤️

karismaliving

Somehow it's still not working...

Acceptance form is in tab #2 and asks about the move-in and move-out dates, which I want to add to the Applicants table in tab #1.

See any mistake...?

The "Find Record" step's returning more than one result for that email address which would cause the "Update Record" step to fail as it expects a single record ID

This means that there's more than one record in "Applicants" with that email address.  Is this expected? 

---

Your "Update Record" step currently updates the move in and move out dates which works fine.  Alternatively you could make it link the two records together and use a lookup field too