Help

Re: How to get data in one cell in one table, to populate another cell in another table

3741 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nick_Conneff
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi, i’m just getting started here, unfortunately can’t get it to do the one thing i really need it to do, which seems straightforward enough, but alas no…

Quite simply i want the data in one cell in one table to populate another cell in another table. With a spreadsheet id just use an =sheet+cell formula. I’ve looked at (and tried without success) ‘look up’ and ‘link’, but i can’t get it to work.

It has to be info from a specific cell, i don’t want the info from the whole field (not that i can get it do that either). For example, i might want to get the info from Table 1, field 5, line 3 reproduced in Table 2, field 5, line 6.

Contacted support 3 or 4 days ago, no reply, which does not bode well…

Thanks

15 Replies 15

Databases work different than you describe, in a more structured way. I recommend you to read the getting started guide.

If you have Events table and Venues table, you can relate them using a Linked Record field (events are celebrated in venues). Then you can show the address of the venue in the event record, for instance, with a Lookup field.

In a database you have Entities (items of the same type), represented by tables here. This elements have Properties, represented by fields here. These Entities may have relationships, that you can make with Linked Record field here. That is the first step to work with data from several tables at once. But you have to stop thinking on cells, columns, rows, etc.

Nick_Conneff

Appreciate you taking the time to post and explain. After some perseverance (and much time), i’m beginning to get the picture you’re painting.

I am getting somewhere (slowly), but not exactly where i want to be, which is to be able to take data from several tables and collate ‘look ups’ of this data into one field in one table. I’ve managed to create a table with links in one field, but the looks ups only in different fields.

Is what i’m looking for possible?

Example:

I have 3 tables

I want info from one record in one field of each table ‘rounded up’ and simply displayed (look up pref) in one field, in one table, so one field on Table 4 would look like this:

Look up from Table 1, Field 1, Record 1 here.
Look up from Table 2, Field 2, Record 2 here.
Look up from Table 3, Field 3, Record 3 here.

Wallace_Miller

You’ll need to link the records first, this will display the linked record’s primary key in table master table. Then, run a lookup on the associated records to display the specific columns you want.

Difficult to explain but…

Create 3 new “Linked” fields in your master table that will be linked to tables A, B, C. In the master table row where you want the new data displayed (ie row 1 column 2), click on the record field and chose the row in table A from which you want to get data from. This will display the linked record’s primary key data in the linked records column of the master table. Repeat this for tables B and C. Then, create 3 “Lookup” fields in the master table and pull whichever fields you want from each of the associated tables (A,B,C) that you want to display in the master table. You can then hide the 3 linked fields in the master table.

Nick_Conneff

Thanks. I appreciate you taking the time to post and explain.

I’ve followed your guidance here, and realised this is close to what i’ve been doing.

I think the confusion for me, is that it doesn’t quite deliver what I expect which is basically

2 columns/fields as such:

Column 1 (Question) | Column 2 (Answer).

What i get is

Column 1 (Q) | 2A | 3A | 4A

This presents itself in a sort of step format.

image.png

This is going to result in a very wide and difficult to navigate document. I’m just looking for the simplicity of 2 columns, like this (mock up done with copy & paste):

image|690x320

Is this possible?

Thanks

Like this (mock up done with copy & paste):

Your mock-up doesn’t come through; perhaps because you’re a new[ish] user.
And I can’t say I really follow what you’re trying to do.

It would seem to me that you have your two-column system there; you’ve just spread it across six. Rather than {Link 1}, {Link 2}, and {Link 3}, there should just be {Link}, a linked-record field pointing to another table. In that other table, you’d have three records: '1st Choice', '2nd Choice', and '3rd Choice', which would be linked with records, respectively, 'Heading 1', 'Heading 2', and 'Heading 3'. Similarly, you’d have a single lookup field that would look up the respective values based on the linked record.

Take a look at this base. (Select ‘duplicate base’ to copy it to your workspace; that way you can inspect the field configuration to see how everything links together.) I think it will point you on the right path…

quickLinkedRecord.png

Thanks. I appreciate you taking the time on this very much. Although you say you cant follow what i’m trying to do, the demo here looks exactly like what i’m trying to do. :slightly_smiling_face: Although i’m struggling to follow your explanation of how, i’ll do as you say; make a duplicate and take a look.

It looks promising. Thanks again.

Nick_Conneff

Ok, back to square one i’m afraid: Example

image.png

The problem (misunderstanding), is that I want/need to look up the data from several different tables (so need to a link and look up column for each) and compile neatly into one table (preferably with just 2 columns Q &A).

Nick, would you be able to describe what you are trying to do - What the various tables are etc.

It looks as though Main is a set of answers to questions - the answers being selected from Link 1, Link 2 and Link 3. If this is the case, why are the answers in 3 tables?

Also, who are the intended users, how will they use it and what will they enter?