995 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lightkensei
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi there. I am not a habitual Airtable user, nor am I much of a tech person, so I apologize if this question has been answered and I wasn't able to find it.

I am developing a database for my perfume collection using Airtable, and for most parts of this project it's great. I would really like to be able to track the dates that I wore each scent (currently I do this in a hand-written notebook, and I have years of data that I'd love to input). I can't figure out if this is possible or how I might do it. I have seen both "no" and "yes?" posts but nothing definitive or for what sounds like the kind of tracking I am doing.

Thank you very much in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Arthur_Tutt
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Hey @lightkensei ! I'm also a bit of a frag head, so you're in good hands here 🙂

What you're asking is very possible. I'm envisioning you'll have two tables. The first will be for perfumes (name, price, date purchased etc). And the 2nd will be for dates. And yes, through Linked Records, you can have both multiple perfumes for each date, and multiple dates for each perfume. Recorded a quick Loom video to show you how to get setup.

  Screenshots of setup:

Screenshot 2023-10-30 211246.png

Screenshot 2023-10-30 211258.png

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3
Arthur_Tutt
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Hey @lightkensei ! I'm also a bit of a frag head, so you're in good hands here 🙂

What you're asking is very possible. I'm envisioning you'll have two tables. The first will be for perfumes (name, price, date purchased etc). And the 2nd will be for dates. And yes, through Linked Records, you can have both multiple perfumes for each date, and multiple dates for each perfume. Recorded a quick Loom video to show you how to get setup.

  Screenshots of setup:

Screenshot 2023-10-30 211246.png

Screenshot 2023-10-30 211258.png

Hi! Thank you so much, @Arthur_Tutt! That was incredibly helpful, especially the video. I'm setting up that second table now. I knew there had to be a simple(ish) explanation 😊. If I run into any weird bumps I will post again, but for now it seems you've answered my question. 

Charlie_Moseley
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi @Arthur_Tutt, thanks so much for this explanation, this is very close to the question I was going to ask and the challenge I'm facing.

To continue with the fragrances metaphor, what I need to do in addition to what you described is to create a calendar view with multiple dates in one field. Is this possible? When I try, Airtable only wants to populate a calendar with a Date field, as opposed to a lookup field which we are using in this example.

The other thing which I am trying to figure out is how to generate a count for how many times a fragrance appears in the table. Is this possible to do as well? Thanks for any guidance you can provide.