2582 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Holli_Younger
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

We use a long text, rich format, field for explanation purposes however even with the height set at Extra Tall a lot of text is still out of view. Is there a way to increase the height for certain rows or a way to inform users letting them know to expand the record to read more? Not all fields require the expanded height and we really want to avoid spreading the fields so far, as it becomes harder to read all other fields.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WilliamPorter
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

@Holli_Younger,

Sorry, there is nothing taller than Extra Tall.

Note that, in grid view, if the user clicks into the field, it will expand to show all the text that has been entered. And in expanded view (what you see when you click on the little “expand record” button at the far left of a row in grid view) you do get to see everything in a long text field at once. But this is a one record at a time option.

Some apps (I’m thinking in particular of Coda, and Google Sheets) provide an option for long-text fields in list view to expand dynamically. Very nice, especially if you have some records with just a little text in that field and others with short dissertations. But Airtable’s row sizes are fixed, and since that’s the case, restricting the height options as Airtable does seems to me to make sense.

William

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4
WilliamPorter
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

@Holli_Younger,

Sorry, there is nothing taller than Extra Tall.

Note that, in grid view, if the user clicks into the field, it will expand to show all the text that has been entered. And in expanded view (what you see when you click on the little “expand record” button at the far left of a row in grid view) you do get to see everything in a long text field at once. But this is a one record at a time option.

Some apps (I’m thinking in particular of Coda, and Google Sheets) provide an option for long-text fields in list view to expand dynamically. Very nice, especially if you have some records with just a little text in that field and others with short dissertations. But Airtable’s row sizes are fixed, and since that’s the case, restricting the height options as Airtable does seems to me to make sense.

William

Thank you (again) @WP_Rucksack for all your help and detailed explanation. Our team knows of the grid view expansion but 9/10 times they “forget” to check it missing out on tasks located right below the cut off.

@Holli_Younger,

Remember that you can add a field “description” for any field. I think of this as a field note. When you save it, the field will get a little “info” icon in the column title, like this:

Click that and it could say “Click in field to see full text, if there is more than can be displayed in the list.” Or something like that.

Best you can do, I think…

William

Natalie_Zdan
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I too would love the ability to expand certain rows' height (like in a Sheets or Excel)!
I know one can easily expand it, but the kicker is it requires one to two clicks! (One click if they know to expand the entire record on the left; two clicks if they click into long text field and then expand button.)  This is a serious disadvantage compared to a spreadsheet that allows you views at a glance with no clicks required thanks to the ability to expand height of individual rows. 
(I do think height should be limited to not exceed viewport height, and there should still be quick option to standardize row heights, but Airtable really needs a bit more flexibility here.)