Help

Re: Is there any way to lock down field options for multi or single select fields?

Solved
Jump to Solution
1627 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kiersten_Kollin
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

We recently encountered an issue where a user ad hoc added options to a multi select field that should not have been there.

Is there any way to lock down available field options so a user is not able to add them in?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yes, if you downgrade that person to an "Editor" instead of a "Creator", that person will not be able to add new field options.

Alternatively, for even deeper security, you can have people access your Airtable data through a portal tool such as Noloco, which offers incredibly detailed security controls.

I give a brief tutorial of Noloco on this episode of the BuiltOnAir podcast, and I presented a full one-hour webinar on Noloco called Building a Client Portal on Noloco powered by Airtable.

See Solution in Thread

7 Replies 7
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yes, if you downgrade that person to an "Editor" instead of a "Creator", that person will not be able to add new field options.

Alternatively, for even deeper security, you can have people access your Airtable data through a portal tool such as Noloco, which offers incredibly detailed security controls.

I give a brief tutorial of Noloco on this episode of the BuiltOnAir podcast, and I presented a full one-hour webinar on Noloco called Building a Client Portal on Noloco powered by Airtable.

RdMedia_srl
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Yes, in Airtable, you can restrict the addition of new options to a multi-select field, but only if you have a Pro plan or higher. This is done using the "field customization permissions" feature.

Here's how to restrict users from adding new options to a multi-select field:

1. Open your Airtable Base.
  2. Navigate to the table containing the multi-select field you wish to restrict.
  3. Click on the field's name (the column header) to bring up the field configuration settings.
  4. Choose "Customize field type".
  5. In the field configuration dialog, you should see the list of current options for your multi-select field.
  6. At the bottom of the field configuration dialog, look for the "Edit Field permissions" section.
  7. Select the field in Who can edit values in this field? to the right.
  8. From the dropdown, select "Only creators can modify field options". If you're not the base creator and this option isn't available, you'll need to ask the base creator or an owner to make this change for you.
  9. Save the changes.

Once this is done, only the base creator will have the ability to modify the field options for that multi-select field. Other collaborators won't be able to add new options ad hoc, though they'll still be able to select from the existing options.

Rodolfo - RdMedia
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

@RdMedia_srl, unfortunately, your instructions are slightly outdated, and unfortunately, they do not solve the original problem.

The "Customize field type" option has been renamed to "Edit Field", and what you listed as your solution locks off the entire field from being edited. It doesn't prevent creators from adding new options to the multi-select options.

The correct solution to this problem is what I posted above.

Sure, you are right @ScottWorld , I didn't see you reply. Thank you, I will see your webinar on Noloco,...it looks similar to Softr, isn't it ?

Rodolfo - RdMedia

Yes! Noloco is very similar to Softr, but more powerful. Softr is more beautiful than Noloco, but Noloco is much more powerful than Softr.

I will try it, thank you! 🙂

Rodolfo - RdMedia

Thank you!