Help

Re: Kanban view for a multiple select field?

Solved
Jump to Solution
2184 8
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Y_S
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi,

I’m putting together a base together with a list of therapeutic modalities on my y axis; and a multiple select field called ‘Presenting Issue’ on my x axis where I’m inputting the different presenting issues each therapy targets (e.g. CBT targets Phobias; Depression etc). I’ve a list of about 50 different therapies and would like to be have a view where I can look at the presenting issue and then see which therapy is ‘matched’ to the issue.

I assume the best way to do this would be with a Kanban view, however Kanban doesn’t seem to work with a multiple select field. Any suggestions of how I can a Kanban to work, or perhaps a different method to achieve a similar outcome?

Thanks in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yeah, that’s right, every time you make an edit to the Presenting Issues field the automation will run and use up one of the 100.

Glad we got it working!

See Solution in Thread

17 Replies 17

Hi Yehuda, hmm, may I know what issues you faced while using the filters to achieve this? Is it that you would like to have all of this data on hand, without needing to modify a view’s filters each time? Once I know that I might be able to suggest something that better suits your needs!

filter

An alternative might be to create a “Presenting Issues” table and make each issue an individual record, which would allow you to do a rollup of the therapies, and you could simply go to the “Presenting Issues” table any time you wanted to view this information without having to fiddle with filters.

The tradeoff here would be that linking the issue to each modality becomes slightly less seamless, but if it’s a one off this might be worth doing.

Therapeutic Modality table:
Screenshot 2022-05-17 at 10.44.08 PM

Presenting Issues table:
Screenshot 2022-05-17 at 10.44.21 PM

Both of the above setups can be found here

I tried making the Kanban view work as you requested, but I couldn’t seem to figure it out. Here’s hoping someone else has a suggestion!

Thanks for this!

1. That’s right - I’m not using the filters (although that’s a good idea!) as I need all the data on hand without needing to modify each time

2. Interesting idea re. making a ‘Presenting Issues’ table, as a Gallery view will have a similar effect as a Kanban. However it’s not going to be a a one off thing so would ideally need another solution. Is there a simple way to ‘flip’ the records so that the Presenting Issues are on the Y axis (as you’ve achieved in your Presenting Issues table)?

Hmm, how often are we looking at here? We could potentially have both the multiple select field and the linked field, and then use an automation to automatically create the link. This might not be tenable depending on how often you modify presenting issues / create new therapy modalities and what Airtable plan you’re on though!

You’ve tried out the linking of the records? The lag while waiting for the records to come up always irks me heh

Hmm…nothing comes to mind I’m afraid, sorry

Y_S
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Actually I guess I just need to link each issue to each modality once.
When you talk about automatically creating the link, do you mean that whenever there’s a change in the ‘Presenting Issues’ table it would automatically also change in the Thereaputic Modalities table too?

Are you referring to this linking?:

We’d have to set it up, but yeap, doable!

Yeap I am

Once I’ve matched each issue (about 25 possibilities) with each therapy (about 50 therapies) then I’d only occasionally need to make adjustments. Does this sound like something very time intensive to set up?

Is this possible to do on the Basic plan?

Super easy to set up. If you already know all the links, this will probably take you an hour max I reckon

Edited to add: And yes totally doable on a Basic plan, sorry for not answering that!

Here’s a gif of me linking a couple

linking records

First time me doing this sort of thing. I’m getting an error when setting up a Rollup (as it looks like you did that in your screenshot for the Applicable Therapies field.

Screenshot 2022-05-17 at 10.44.21 PM

Do I need to do a Rollup?

Here’s my error

Cool that I have the interventions field and presenting issue field automatically filled out! Thanks for all your help!

Ah, for the formula, try ARRAYUNIQUE(values)?

Hmm I’m lost with the Rollup and formulas (I don’t have a formula field to input the formula). Are they even necessary?

When I change the Presenting Issue field to a Link (rather than Multiple Select) I lose the colour formatting (where presenting issues were colour coded e.g. anxiety in blue; eating disorders in pink). Is there a way to maintain the colour coding?
Before:

After:

That’s…an excellent point. I apologize, with this use case we can accomplish what we’re looking to do with a Lookup field and we do not require a Rollup or a Rollup formula at all. So sorry.

I’m afraid not, and I can see how important this functionality would be for your workflow. In this case, I would suggest having two fields: a multiple select field of Presenting Issues which are color coded, and a linked field to the Presenting Issues table. The linked field to the Presenting Issues table would basically always be hidden, and we would use an automation to keep the multiple select field and the linked field in sync

automation running

On a Basic plan, you would have 100 automation runs a month per base. Would you be making modifications to the Presenting Issues more than 50 times a month? If so, I would suggest an automation that runs once a day instead

(You could, of course, do this manually by pasting the values from the multiple select field into the link field every time you make a change, but I don’t trust myself to do that kind of thing properly and thus use automations for such things)

To view the formulas and automations, duplicate the base by clicking the title of the base at the top of the screen and then click the three horizontal dots on the right.

Do you mean a Lookup field or Linked field?

Once I’ve matched all the presenting issues to the modalities I’d expect to only occasionally making adjustments. I assume I can manually force an automation where necessary.

What formula are you using for the field titled Is Presenting Issue...? (or was that just to demonstrate that they automatically sync?)

The formula is:

IF(
  {Presenting Issues Link} = {Presenting Issues Select},
  "Yes",
  "No"
)

It’s used as the trigger for the automation; the formula field updates to “No” if the two fields do not match, and the automation will run once said formula field updates to “No”.

You can view the automations in the base by clicking the “Automation” button at the top right of the screen
Screenshot 2022-05-18 at 8.48.53 PM

And you can also view the formulas by duplicating the base!
base duplication

(Apologies if you already knew how to view the automations / duplicate the base for formula viewing!)

Sigh…I did mean Lookup field, but you’re right once again, the Linked field works just fine here. It’s been a very long day, sorry for all the mistakes

Am I correct in assuming I want to insert Airtable Record ID as the property?

Here’s a screenshot of the automation:

Screenshot 2022-05-18 at 10.30.57 PM

You’ll need to change the table bit

Thanks - it works!

I feel like Airtable should really say Choose records to link **from** rather than Choose records to link **to**, as it’s really pulling the info from the Presenting Issue field…

As I currently have the automation running in the , does this mean every time i make an edit to the Presenting Issue field another one of my 100 monthly limit will be used up?

Yeah, that’s right, every time you make an edit to the Presenting Issues field the automation will run and use up one of the 100.

Glad we got it working!