4279 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gazflo
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi. I’m looking to replace Trello with Airtable, but I’m struggling with Link (URL) attachments. Firstly, I cannot drag web pages onto a card to create a link attachment, like I can in Trello. Secondly, and most importantly, when I create link attachments manually, there’s no way to follow the link. Clicking on the attachment just attempts to preview the link. There’s no option to follow the link from the preview either.

What am I doing wrong?

4 Replies 4
Aron
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi Gazflo,

I think you’re confusing two types of fields: link fields and attachments. If you create a link field, it will be clickable. Attachment fields are used for uploading files to airtable.

It seems like you want to automatically create records from websites you visit. I’d recommend using Web clipper block which allows you to do that without having to drag and drop :slightly_smiling_face: simply click on the airtable chrome extension from the page you’re looking at and it will create a new record (card) in Airtable.

Gazflo

Hi Aron,

Thanks for the reply.

I’m using the attachments field because I want to attach multiple links to a record:

Screenshot 2020-04-28 at 22.02.32

Screenshot 2020-04-28 at 22.06.26

If I use a link field, I can only attach one link (unless I create another table with a one-to-many relationship).

I was hoping to use the native functionality as it looks to have been designed.

I’ll take a look at the Web clipper block, but I think it will create a new record for each clip.

I don’t think that Airtable supports multiple URLs per URL field, so if you’re going to be embedding multiple URLs per record, I would recommend creating a 2nd table to hold all of your URL’s (one URL per record), and then link to the 2nd table from your 1st table. You will also be able to do the data entry from either your 1st table or the 2nd table.

Gazflo

It’s frustrating that the Airtable functionality looks to support URL attachments, but it just doesn’t work (unlike Trello and Zenkit, which work flawlessly).

I tried adding a linked table, but it’s just too clunky.

For my needs, it’ll need to be Trello or Zenkit.