cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OfficeOurs
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi everyone,

I did see this post but since my table is a synced to google drive I can't change the primary field.

Does anyone have another solution to display field data in the linked record field?

@ScottWorld ?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Several different options for you here:

1. You can use a lookup field or a rollup field to display the data that you want to see from the other table.

2. Otherwise, when you’re initially setting up your sync table for the first time, you can choose whatever field you want to be your primary field. If you'd like a different field to be your primary field, delete the sync table and recreate it from scratch.

3. Although I wouldn’t necessarily recommend using a sync table if you want more control over your table. Your best bet here would be to create your own “sync table” using Make’s Google Drive integrations & automations for AirtableThen, you have complete freedom to do whatever you want, you can create a formula field as your primary field, and you have a fully editable table with none of the limitations of a sync table.

4. If you're just looking for more flexibility when searching for a record to link to within your linked record field, you may want to check out Fillout’s advanced forms for Airtable, which lets you search and match on ALL THE FIELDS YOU WANT from the linked table via the linked record field. Fillout lets you add new records into Airtable, and it also lets you update existing Airtable records. (See my post below for more details.)

p.s. If your company has a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with any of this, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consulting — ScottWorld

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Several different options for you here:

1. You can use a lookup field or a rollup field to display the data that you want to see from the other table.

2. Otherwise, when you’re initially setting up your sync table for the first time, you can choose whatever field you want to be your primary field. If you'd like a different field to be your primary field, delete the sync table and recreate it from scratch.

3. Although I wouldn’t necessarily recommend using a sync table if you want more control over your table. Your best bet here would be to create your own “sync table” using Make’s Google Drive integrations & automations for AirtableThen, you have complete freedom to do whatever you want, you can create a formula field as your primary field, and you have a fully editable table with none of the limitations of a sync table.

4. If you're just looking for more flexibility when searching for a record to link to within your linked record field, you may want to check out Fillout’s advanced forms for Airtable, which lets you search and match on ALL THE FIELDS YOU WANT from the linked table via the linked record field. Fillout lets you add new records into Airtable, and it also lets you update existing Airtable records. (See my post below for more details.)

p.s. If your company has a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with any of this, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consulting — ScottWorld

I want to be able to find the correct record to link to; rollup & lookup fields only help after its already linked.

Recreating the whole table would be a whole project. I think I'll try the AI linked record suggestions.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Oh, you just want to search and match on other fields.

You may want to check out Fillout’s advanced forms for Airtable, which lets you search and match on ALL THE FIELDS YOU WANT from the linked record field!

Fillout offers 2 types of forms:
1. A form to update existing records in Airtable.
2. A form to create new Airtable records.

Both forms give you full control over your linked record fields… you can search and match on any linked record field that you want, and then, after you make the selection, you can display lookup fields, rollup fields, formulas, etc. on your form.

Fillout also offers about 100 other advanced form functions that you can’t get from Airtable.