cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
David_Grover
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi Community,

New user here, so apologies if I am not using the right terminology.

I have a table with multiple records.

In one record, one of the fields is a multiple choice list of camera brands. i.e Nikon, Canon, Fuji etc.

In another record, can I somehow ask to show JUST those that have the multiple chose answer - Canon, for example.

I have been playing with record linking, but it seems I then can’t retain the multiple choice option?

Many thanks!

David

4 Replies 4
Mehul_Bhandari
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

You can choose either one, not both.

Workaround would be to use third party apps like zapier or integromat, having extra column and then using it for multiple option field.

Hi @David_Grover - I think this is what you are after:

i.e. your choice in the first field limits your selection of options in the second field. So, as per @W_Vann_Hall, it is possible with a good bit of table wrangling. This doesn’t come out of the box, unfortunately.

This might not work for you and isn’t a “conditional logic” approach, but an alternative is this:

Create a new table to hold your make/model combinations:

Back in your primary table have a single link field to this table:

When users want to make a selection of make/model, they get the link record pop-up, which also allows them to search:

so, if you do a quick search on “Canon” for example, you pretty quickly get to a smaller set of models to choose from.

This approach also has the side benefit of easily showing you the number of make/model combos that have been chosen, if that stat is important to you.

JB

David_Grover
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thanks for the suggestions Guys!

I will try these out. :slightly_smiling_face:

Allen_Moldovan
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Morning David,

What you are referring to is dynamic variable conditions for linked record fields.

Airtable rolled out “Dynamic Variables” to their automation “Find Records”. It enables you to set a condition as dynamic.

IF this were to be rolled out to the the linked record field type, you could accomplish this.
This functionality would look through values in the destination table and filter the linked record options for only those records which match the conditions.

Dynamic

please be sure to email this to support@airtable.com to push them on this linked record feature