943 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tender_Team
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hey! I recently added the Maps extension and connected the Google API, however, when it comes to the next steps I’m stumped at what to do. For context, we are a small non-profit that offers two programs, and this one specifically provides diapers, wipes, and formula.

When our mamas submit request forms with their full address, we want to capture the distance between their home and our Diaper Bank. If they’ve selected ‘contactless drop-off’ and their home address is outside of the GA perimeter (xx radius) then their status will change to ‘office pick-up’ and send an automated message.

Is this possible? And if so, what do I need to do or what resources are available for me to attempt the setup?

Thanks for the help!

5 Replies 5

No, that is not possible in Airtable. You might be able to find an experienced Javascript developer who can figure out how to custom code a JavaScript-based solution for you that ties into some online mapping software, but that would likely be expensive. Your best bet is to find some online route-planning software that is already setup for those purposes. If they have an API, you could then connect Airtable to their software to let you know if somebody is contactless drop-off or office pick-up.

@ScottWorld
Your best bet is to find some online route-planning software that is already setup for those purposes

They already have that with Google Maps API.

One thing to consider, radius is not always an exact measure of travel distance.

Since you have an API key, you can have Make.com call Google Maps and give you the resulting distance back in Airtable.

While Airtable cannot perform this natively, it is pretty easy to set up in gasp… Google Sheets.

See this link: Google Maps Formulas for Google Sheets - Digital Inspiration

You can copy the example sheet to get the Google Apps script that is required.

If you want to stay in Airtable, create an automation that appends a new row with both address’ now google sheets can tell you the distance, now you can set up a ZAP to feed the resulting distance back to Airtable. Keep in mind this is driving distance, so not radius distance. But the nice thing is you do not need a Google Maps API key which I believe requires a credit card on file.

Oh wow, thanks so much for pointing that out to me! I didn’t even realize this, and I use Make.com every single day with my Airtable clients! Lol. :crazy_face: :man_facepalming:

Make natively offers the ability to Get A Distance Matrix using Google Maps.

I haven’t yet tested this on my end, but this could end up being incredibly easy & already completely figured out for @Tender_Team!

Some instructions on how to use the Distance Matrix are located here.

And a basic list of the native Google Maps functionality are located here:

Tender_Team

This is so far beyond my general understanding :grinning_face_with_sweat: but I’ll work it out! Thank you BOTH for the insight and resources. I’ll start the trial and error phase now! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Haha, you’re welcome! I would highly recommend doing it directly with Make, so you don’t have to deal with any programming code!