1106 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tracy_Edwards
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi, I’m a total newbie and I can’t get my head around Airtable.

I’ve created a grid (database) from one of the preconfig bases. For some reason I started with Grid 3. I did some sorting and all of a sudden I’m in Grid 4 but I continued to add new records thinking it was just a change of view from the sorting I’d done.

So I carry on and then editing today, I realise I can’t find some records - BUT they are on Grid 3?

What am I doing wrong?
How do I merge the data of Grid 3 and 4?
I thought they were just views?

Don’t even get me started on Kanban - can’t figure that one to save my life!

Thanks in advance for any help

1 Reply 1
Zollie
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Views can’t be merged, but they can be duplicated then changed.

But it sounds like you’re really just trying to wrap your head around what a view is. If all the data in your Airtable base is in a house, views are windows into that house. In other words, they don’t contain any of the data, they’re just showing you a slice of it. When you add a filter, group some rows together, hide columns etc. you’re changing what data the view is showing you. But you’re not altering the data itself. At any time, you could unhide all the columns, ungroup everying, delete all the filters - and then you’d have a view that shows you all of your data. Here’s Airtable’s explanation of what a view is.

I generally use a handful of views for each table. They’re usually task oriented - one for adding or editing data, another for reading through it, etc. That way I can toggle between them depending on what portion of the data I need to see for that task.