cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alter345
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi there !
I have been using airtable for 1 year now and I can"t figure out a solution for the problem I have right now.
Here is the thing : I would like to develop a form in which people can process internal orders for suppliers, products and quantity.
In the form we would have :
Existing client, if not, create one
Then select the first type(s) of product(s) from the supplier A
Select product(s) from supllier B
etc …
I have 15 suppliers and +/- 20 products per suppliers
I tried many things, but does not seem to work … Should I use a third party tool or something ?
Do you guys had the same issue ?
thanks !

9 Replies 9

Hello @Alter345!

I’d love to help figure out how to make this form best work for you. I’d like to ask a little more information about your workflow so that I can make sure I fully understand the problem.

When creating the form are you running into a problem with submitting the combination of suppliers and products? Or are you trying to refine the list of products based on the supplier? Would prefilling some of the form inputs help in this situation?

Screenshots of the form, or your base, are always cool. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hello Rose, and thanks for your reply :winking_face:
I will get back to you with an Excel file type so you will get the workflow.
Prefilling form inputs may be an option …But how am I supposed to move while working on existing customers to update their orders … :winking_face: ? thanks

This support article could potentially be helpful in building a prefilled form for existing customers with their orders already in the form? You could then potentially build an automation to update the record in question when a form is submitted.

Let me know if you have any questions on the above ideas.

Alter345
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi there,
as promised, please find attached the excel file i was talking.
Every time we create a new project, we must pick from category 1,2,3,4 the products from different suppliers and then add the quantity for each product needed. Then, when we add the quantity it auto populates a new excel tab to get the quote.
Do you guys think this process could work on airtable AND if there is some interest to do it on airtable ? I’m not sure we could save time while doing it on airtable. Last thing, i’m not sure the best way to do it is doing so by using form OR directly with the airtable table.

thanks ! Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 16.29.55

Hello @Alter345!

Thank you so much for the spreadsheet- it really helps visualize your process. The majority of workflow could easily be built in Airtable based on the info you provided above.

The primary way you’d be connecting information would be though linked record fields. You’d want to have a table for Categories, Products, Suppliers, and Product Orders (which would track quantity for each order).

The fields you’d want to connect are:

1. Each Category to their different products
  2. Each Product to their different Supplier (which would have a field for each supplier’s reference). reference number)

Then when an order is placed you could you create an Airtable form with conditional inputs so that depending on what the user puts as their category you will populate the proper products and suppliers.

As to whether this workflow is best-—it really depends on your personal preference and workflow needs. I have personally found that more complicated your workflow is, the more Airtable shines with it’s complex views and automations functionality.

I hope that helps! :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh I just found this Community post which offers another elegant workflow for linking your tables together based on conditional logic.

Hi Rose, thank you very much for your answers …
But it seems that both solutions do not allow me to update a field through the form right ?
thanks

Morning Rose,

seems you guys rolled out “Dynamic Variables” to the automation “Find Records”. It enables you to set a condition as dynamic.

IF this were to be rolled out to the the linked record field type, you could accomplish this without workarounds.

This functionality would look through values in the destination table and filter the linked record options for only those records which match the conditions.

This Functionality is often requested.

Something to keep in mind for the devs. it would be great if this also applied to rollups and lookups.

Dynamic

Hi all,
just to keep the community updated …
I think i will go with mini extension
im not sure whether it’s the best solution or not, but I will go with this :winking_face:
thanks