Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

Pull records from one table based on matching attributes in another table

1889 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tamsin_Chislett
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have a Table 1 which has a list of all of our clothing inventory and columns that have attributes of those items (such as size, colour, fabric, etc).

I have a Table 2 which has a list of our customers and their attributes regarding their preferences which match many of the attributes of our clothes (e.g. their size, preferred clothing colour, preferred clothing fabric, etc).

What I would like to do is pick an attribute (or even multiple attributes) from Table 1 and pull all the pieces of clothing in Table 1 that match the customers that have chosen that attribute in Table 2. For example, if Customer A has said their size is 8, then it would show me all the items that are Size 8. Or if they said they liked red items, it would show me all the red items. Or even better, if they said they were size 8 and liked red items, it would show all the red, size 8 items!

Is there a way to do this? I was trying to do it with a mix of linking cells and lookups but can not seem to get it to work.

2 Replies 2

This is quite tricky. You probably need to have tables for Sizes, Colours, Fabrics etc. You would then link the Items to the Colours via a multiple record Link to Record field in the Items table (do the same with Sizes and Fabrics). You would also link the Customers table to the Sizes, Colours, Fabrics tables. You could then use Look Up fields to see which Items are available in the chosen colours (or sizes or fabrics).

This wouldn’t solve “Or even better, if they said they were size 8 and liked red items, it would show all the red, size 8 items!” though.

Thanks so much David - will see if I can make it work for individual tables. I guess also good to know that this isn’t easy!