Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GrahamW
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi all,

II'll try and better explain.

Imagining you have a base with multiple tables, and on one table there are 2 fields... One, is a linked to field that allows for multiple selected records... Let's say it links to a table listing people's names; members of a team. 

One record has 3 names: 

• Jason Jones
  • Amy Abner
  • Steve Sullivan

Again, these are individual records from another base, not text. 

Is there a way I can pull just the first record, automatically, into the 2nd field? Similar to if I was using the right or left functions with numbers. 

I want to have a second field that pulls out just Jason Jones in this field, and does the same for all the other records along that same field; ie pulling out just the first record. 

🙏

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hmm, yeah, try an IF() that uses a FIND() to see if it can find a comma, and if it doesn't just display the name?

See Solution in Thread

5 Replies 5

Linked fields still can work with the LEFT, so you can use it to get the first linked record like so:

Screenshot 2023-04-12 at 11.30.47 AM.png

LEFT(
  {New table},
  FIND(
    ',',
    {New table}
  ) - 1
)

And if you wanted it to operate like a linked field, you could either manually paste the value into a linked field or use an automation to do so?

Thanks for the reply TTSCo, I've got this to work with the exception of when that field with a list of names, contains only one name (given that there is no comma separator). Im thinking an IF Function applied to trap the times that there is a singular name, but can't wrap my head around the conditions I would place in there. 

Any ideas? 

Hmm, yeah, try an IF() that uses a FIND() to see if it can find a comma, and if it doesn't just display the name?

GrahamW
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Holy Crap. Yes. That has to be it. Will try it, but marking it as the solution all the same. 

Thanks again 

GrahamW
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Yeah that worked. Really grateful for your brain. 🙂 🧠