cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
R_Felciano_QIAG
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi all –

Is there a way to force a sort / ordering of the columns in the matrix block? They appear in somewhat random order. I have column names representing months in a year, and I’d like them sorted chronologically.

Ramon

4 Replies 4
Jim_Hare1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Two years later and I think we’re still missing this, or am i missing something? I need records in the Matrix block to sort as per the view they’re from.

Bob_Clarke
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Same here. I can get the columns to sort, not the rows. Does not seem to follow the view’s sort settings. Have tried messing with the values (alpha/numerical) and does not seem to follow any logic. Sometimes, I can get the rows to sort correctly and not the columns.

Actually, just figured it out. The sorting is not controlled by any view sorting. The sorting is controlled by the order of items in a single select field. Just change their order by dragging each item up and down, save it … and … the matrix app will change. This is actually pretty good as it allows you more direct control of the sorting.

Single select order does affect sort order in most places in Airtable. But in a matrix view, you might not always be using that field type. I’m currently using Linked Names, and a schedule of Event. It’s sorting alpha on both the columns and rows. But I have a start time field that I want to use to get everything in date order, but that’s not even a choice that I can use for my columns. Still some hacking with field stuff in order to get it to maybe display how I would like.