cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Melanie_Johnson
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

air table question

Each year I screen every kinder student and determine whether they’re OK, need speech service, need a recheck in 1st grade, or a recheck in 2nd grade.

I’ve created a table for the first year- but I cannot figure out how to automatically move students from the 19-20 table into the 20-21 or 21-22 tables if they have data in the recheck field. If they are OK or receive service and meet mastery, or are disenrolled, (unshown fields) they do not need to transfer to the new tables.

I also only need certain fields of data to move from the current table into the other 2 tabels (Student name, DOB, sounds) as the grades/teacher names will all change as they shift from grade to grade.

Thank you for any help

4 Replies 4

Hi Melanie, if this is a one off and you do not need the tables to link together, I would do the following:

To create the 2020-2021 table:

1. Duplicate the 2019-2020 Universal table
  2. Rename it to 2020-2021 Universal
  3. In my view, filter out all the records that have 2020-2021 in the Recheck column
  4. Delete all the records that are in this current view
  5. Remove the filter

This would leave me with all the records that have the value 2020-2021 in the Recheck field

I would repeat this for the 2021-2022 Universal table

If you need the data to be linked, I would do the following:

To create the 2020-2021 Universal table

1. In the 2019-2020 Universal table, create a filter that will only display the records with the value 2020-2021 in the Recheck field
  2. Have a table called 2020-2021 Universal
  3. In the 2019-2020 Universal table, create a link to the 2020-2021 Universal table
  4. Click the column header of the Name column in the 2019-2020 Universal table. This will select all the values in this column
  5. Paste it into the link field from step 3 in the 2019-2020 Universal table

This will automatically create a linked record in the 2020-2021 Universal table for all the students that have the value 2020-2021 in the Recheck field

Happy to answer any questions you have!

Hello Adam!
My husband used automations to create a record in the other tables. It seems to work, but re-reading your directions- I’m wondering, what is the difference between linking records and automation?
Would linking the records change the data as I updated things in the future- both in the previous years records and records moving forward?

image.png

image.png

image.png

Hi @Melanie_Johnson
The difference between Automations and Linking records is, an Automation is an action that is triggered by something in your Airtable. In your screenshot the Automations are creating a new record. A linked record is two tables sharing a set of data between them and changing if the other field changes. For example you have a table of people and a table of tasks, you will want to link the people to the tasks.

Thank you for the explanation! :slightly_smiling_face: