cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kate_Aldworth
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi,

Is there any way of wrapping the text in the header fields so that I don’t have to have such a wide column to fit the header in? In the example above I want to be able to see “Genre” rather than “Ge…” and “Proofer 1” instead of “Pro…”

Thanks in advance!

Kate

61 Replies 61

If you want to see the full field name but have the column narrowed, you can:

• hover over the header and a tooltip appears with the name
  • use emojis, to save characters or to complement the title
  • use fields descriptions for large text of information

The layout of the column headers is ridiculous esp. since the ‘type’ indicator is mandatory and takes up a huge chunk at the left

Calling it “ridiculous” is a bit much, but I do feel that it could be optimized. My recommendation would be to only show the type indicator and menu arrow if the mouse is hovering over the header; the rest of the time, only show the label.

Jasmine_Hendric
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’d also really love word-wrapping capabiltiy in my Fields sections. It’s the only thing so far that I’ve missed from Excel (well and the ability to format date fields to include day of the week-- and the option to exclude the year to take less space). I’m so amazed by the functionality of this program!

I also just wanted to come back here and thank you for you suggestion. It truly wouldn’t have occurred to me to use emojis in this context for some reason but it’s a workable alternative, so points to you for creativity, and for passing it on!

In the spirit of passing it on, in case someone else is reading this: If you’re using a windows computer instead of a handheld device, you can access emojis by using the shortcut combination “windows key + .” then you either scroll through or start typing the kind of emoji you’re looking for. (I’m sure there’s something similar for mac but I don’t know what it is.)

Control-Command-Space in many apps is the hotkey for “Emoji & Symbols” in the Edit menu. In the Mac’s keyboard preferences page, there’s also a checkbox labeled “Show Keyboard & Character Viewers in menu bar.” With that, click on the menu bar icon and select “Show Character Viewer.”

49%20PM

stollerd

Would like this feature as well!

Michael_Andrew
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Upvote on this feature

Sree_harsha_Tha
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yes very much needed. As someone mentioned miss this feature when compared to eXCEL

Irene_Pak2
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

One more vote from me on this feature. It’s time consuming to have to hover over the field header to see the whole name, and it would make more efficient use of screen real estate to adjust column to the width of the actual data below

Mark_Johnson
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I can’t believe we can’t made the header row into more than one row. This is pretty bad imho. Lots of documents need this type of format. GG.

Jack_Coley

Hi, I’m a new user and one of the first things I looked for in setting up my Tables was a way to wrap the Field Name. I find it odd and frustrating that Airtable hasn’t implemented this feature yet; especially considering that Records content automatically wraps when the column is narrow. Airtable, please add this functionality to your software.

DLin
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for this please add wrapping headers. thanks.

Irene_Pak2
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This would make much more efficient use of screen real estate, as column widths currently have to be so wide for the full column heading to be visible. There is so much negative space in Airtable vs Google Sheets that there is already so much more scrolling that is necessary to view table content.

Tricia_Harding

+1 for being able to wrap the headers. It does seem like a small thing that could make a HUGE difference.

Susan_cabral
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Another vote to please add text wrapping in the header field! It really wastes much time and throws a lot of speed bumps into workflow to have to dig into each individual header each time, especially when working with complicated financial and sales reports.

Ben_Neilson
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for this feature too please

Adam_Calvert

Yes please add text wrap.

Chris_Phipps
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 from me. This is the biggest challenge in AirTable. I’ve created multiple views as the columns take up so much width.