Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Ability to customize colors in blocks (charts in particular)

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
klonaway
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hoping for an added feature to control the colors of a chart block.
Please correct me if I missed a feature in anything I say below !

So far, the only way I found to control the colors of a chart block is to group based on a single-select field. Unfortunately, the colors of single-select options are :

• limited by the AirTable UI available colors
  • limited to manual changes (I canโ€™t find a way to change them through formulas or API calls)

My use case : as I explained here, I have various correlated charts plotting data from a โ€œSessionsโ€ table, and I group them by customer (link to the โ€œCustomersโ€ table). I need consistent colors to analyze these at a glance.

Possible implementations that would work for me :

• Basic feature enabling workarounds : Allow control of Single-select option colors through formulas, through the API, or any other wayโ€ฆ
  • Maybe too narrow : Blocks > Chart > โ€˜Group byโ€™ field > Add a โ€˜Custom colorโ€™ choice which could be based on table relations. In my case, expecting โ€˜Group byโ€™>โ€œCustomerโ€ link field and โ€˜Custom Colorโ€™>โ€œCustomerColorโ€ chosen in the customers table. [Eventually, implementing a โ€˜Colorโ€™ field type at the same time] (New Field: Color ๐ŸŒˆ) would be the icing on the cake ! ๐Ÿ™‚

My best solution at the moment : I use a Node.js bot (built for various third-party syncs) to sync the โ€œCustomerโ€ link value of a โ€œSessionsโ€ record into a Single-select field of the same record which holds the manually input color of that customer. Really not practical at all ๐Ÿ˜…

Iโ€™d be pleased to read anything related to my needs if someone manages to understand the mess I just wrote :thinking:

4 Comments
Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Unfortunately, the Chart Block (while pretty good) is a cul-de-sac when trying to modify it; no through-street there.

Have you looked at the new Vega-Lite Charting feature? Itโ€™s beta and requires some tech skill, but you can join the beta with one click.

klonaway
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Looks awesome ! Just joined the beta ! This is actually what I will be looking for, once my CRM database is fully set up, to extract my own strange metrics out of it.

Huge thumbs up to AirTable for enabling custom charts coding directly inside the UI :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: , and thanks to you for pointing me to the Vega-Lite Charting beta !

Yet, the convenience of a 5-click block chart is something else entirely. I guess the price for a more customized dashboard is diving into codeโ€ฆ

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

With power comes responsibility.

Eric_McFetridge
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Just here to say this would also be something we would greatly appreciate. In our case, the chart is literally showing the colors in an inventory, so when the colors do not correspond it looks ridiculous.