2666 0
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
annawright
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I would like to assign leads within a base to a member of my team, but do not want them to be able to have full access to the base. I would prefer them to only see the base as an interface, and only be able to read and access leads that have been shared with them. Is this possible?

31 Replies 31

I just want to second this. Thanks @raghavsethi for taking the time to response. I hope you and your colleagues find and get the time to do this more often! 

RayThacher
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I appreciate the lengthy reply, but you've already solved this for the exact example that you have listed here. If your business or enterprise builders with large scopes aren't able to properly set up access controls then that is on them, and this is limiting the use of the product. 

Not only can users not even click on the list, because they are read only, even if they have full access the list can be reduced down to populate to only users in the person's organization(s), team(s), project(s), or even the user themselves by using your "Current user" selector and some carefully crafted security tables that we can already build. It's effectively doing this piece, and it's already in your tool.

"Somehow figuring out in realtime which other users every user can see based on data permissions (e.g. collaborator fields etc), and only limiting to that set (so computationally expensive that it could slow down the base)."

If you'd like me to show you the few different solutions we use to solve every related issue *except* the share modal I'd be happy to do so, but because of this we've stopped two enterprise builds and have had to find workarounds with third party front ends, or swap to SmartSuite when we prefer Airtable. 

Edit: Additionally I've attempted to pull this list from the network dev tools, and because the list won't populate in the browser, it doesn't seem to allow me to pull any unintended data. 
Security Airtable.jpg

The specific example for read-only users I was talking about was this (and there are others):

Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 9.29.02โ€ฏAM.png

In any case, I do want to acknowledge how painful this is and let you know that we're thinking through solutions.

RayThacher

In this case just add the same logic you already have in the filters in the other areas of the interface designer or have your builders use masking logic to hide the available options. If you're really worried about exposure to data, have your enterprise clients need to request this *specifically*. The same people who have large enough teams to do proper deployment testing, and utilize the drafting features in your tool are the same people who need to expand their userbase. 

Are there niches where this is potentially problematic? Yes
Are you definitely preventing your largest clients who you are specifically targeting from actually wanting to use your tool? Also yes

Hi @raghavsethi,

I've stumbled onto some confusion (possibly a bug?) when trying to invite read-only users to my interface. (These are people who do NOT have access to my base nor workspace. They have Airtable accounts, but I just want them to have access to my interface.)

On the "Share -> Invite by email" screen, I can type in all of their emails and set them to read-only users, but if I DON'T check the box that says "Notify people", they will not receive their email invitations. (Please see screenshot below.)

But isn't that the entire point of clicking the big blue "Invite" button? To invite them & send them a notification?

Why would I additionally need to add in the extra step of checking the box to "notify" them if I'm already clicking on the blue button that says "Invite"?

The reason that I previously unchecked the "notify" checkbox was because I thought that "Notify People" meant that everybody who already has access to my interface would get notified that a new person was added.

I feel like there could be some more clarification regarding the functionality of "Notify" vs. "Invite".

Thanks! ๐Ÿ˜€
Scott

Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 12.49.05 PM.png

annawright2
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Following advice on this thread, I created an interface, and shared it to a team member, who I verified now only has access to the interface. However, in order for leads to be assigned to them and populate within this interface, I still need to add them to my Workspace. Can someone please advise the appropriate process, as I do not want collaborators to have full access to company data.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

You donโ€™t need to add them to your workspace. You just need to create a User field and assign them to records there.

annawright2
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thank you so much! I just needed to adjust the settings to uncheck the box that said to notify someone about joining a base. 

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Youโ€™re welcome! Glad I could help! ๐Ÿ™‚

idodan

Hi raghavsethi,

I watched Ilan Frank's talk in the last event, and you all shared your commitment to make AT a platform for App building.

I regret that this inability to provide privacy and adequate permission framework means AT isn't at all, as long as this isn't been solved, an App Building Platform.

I just finished building a robust system using AT Interface,as I believed your VP product, and I applied custom made permission implementation (so each user sees only the relevant records), just to find out I can't even get rid of the "View Data" button on the upper left corner of the Interface app screen, so all users simply click into the data table and violate all privacy concerns.

Please advise!