Help

Re: Airtable Pricing Updates for 2023 are a slap in the face for Pro Users.

4660 1
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Sean_Wilson
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

The new airtable pricing, is quite, frankly, a joke.

We are now dealing with a company that is actively hostile to its user base. This is generally the users within small and medium sized businesses who are growing.

I don't know about you guys, but for me, I have recommended 3 other businesses join airtable, have personally onboarded one, and have my own business on it. Not only that, but I heard about this tool from another person who was in the not-for-profit space.

A huge slap in the face for us is the change in the Pro Plan, specifically that we have to move to Team Plan which has the following downgrades:

1. Automation runs have been cut in half to 25,000 automation runs.
  2. API calls have been reduced from unlimited to 100,000.
  3. Attachment space has been cut in half from 20 GB to 10 GB.
  4. Multi-source syncing has been eliminated.

For a couple of businesses I know, that has killed them and they'll have to move to teams and pay for some of their users who have access to a single interface for the purposes of ordering steel, or sending an invoice to a client.

For now, you might be thinking, but, this is a small expense in regards to the overall revenue of a company right?

Yep. But its NOT ABOUT THAT. It is about CONFIDENCE IN A PLATFORM.

Airtable could be now considered hostile to its users. Airtable can now retroactively change pricing of the tool that you use as the foundation or a key part of your company's digital strategy. That is bad for the KEY INGREDIENT required in doing business - CONFIDENCE.

I am very open to hearing from airtable about this, especially in light of other changes such as the changes to their PDF linking and formulas which was a huge pain in the ass.

So, congrats I guess airtable? You want to up prices, try to get more enterprise, and kill growing SMB sentiment? Its a bold strategy, looking forward to see how it'll work out! You basically killed your word of mouth marketing, which to be fair is hard to track metric-wise (if you're lazy, but if you are a decent sales exec you will see your organic growth vs attributable to paid marketing growth but whatever) so for people like me and other SMB's we are **bleep** out of luck.

14 Replies 14
Yaron_Avramov
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I absolutely agree. I've been a customer for more than 3 years, and have spent 1000s of man hours optimizing the system for our needs, and we just got a message that's basically saying that we have 3 weeks to move to another platform, or pay more than twice the money you've been paying just in order to keep things running.

That's exactly a slap in the face and done in such a way that really shows that they couldn't care less about their customers. 

I understand if they came to the conclusion that current price tiers are not profitable, we're all working for money, but they should have for the very least announce something like that 6 months before.

Users would have time to rearrange. Maybe change their systems so they would work in the lesser tier, and have options. I really feel like they pointed a gun to my head. 
So, yes, I will have to pay in order to keep my business running, but my first project would be to migrate to another platform.

Too bad.

Scott_Hoek
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

What I donโ€™t understand is the reason for it being so last-minute.  And it actually concerns me.

There were clearly meetings about this, a discussion around some conference room table, and I find it difficult to believe that no one said โ€œtaking features away from the most expensive SMB plan is going to piss people off.โ€  Clearly, this was brought up, considered, and they decided to do it anyway.

Maybe it was necessary because of costs of running the syncs.  But they could have given us some warning - 6 months or until the end of our current billing cycle before the plan changes.  The fact that theyโ€™re like โ€œyou have 3 weeks, figure it out,โ€ to me, seems to imply cash flow trouble.  Why would they risk alienating their user base so quickly if they didnโ€™t need to?  Iโ€™m really am struggling to see this as anything but a desperate grab for capital.

idk guys, Iโ€™m kinda worried our data isnโ€™t safe in Airtable, even if we upgrade โ€” if theyโ€™re having financial troubles, I donโ€™t know if we should use their services at all.

JV-TRP

+1000! โ€œActively hostileโ€ is exactly right. You asked me about Smartsheet in another thread, and I moved away from it for 3 reasons (1) overly complicated and clients didnโ€™t like to use it; (2) poor UX - unless youโ€™re a developer; and (3) cost. But in the past several months, theyโ€™ve been improving and smoothing the functionality, rolling out low or no cost extensions, the support is great, and ** it now costs only slightly more than Airtable **. 

Do better Airtable. I want to root for you but youโ€™re making it really hard. And expensive. 

DaveR
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Agreed... very disappointed with the short notice for this change.   Our organization is relatively new to Airtable (~6 months), but we've already been jumping in hard to make this a central part of our workflows.

Another key downgrade for Pro Plans that @Sean did not list --> differentiating between Standard and Premium integrations.    The downgraded Team plan cannot access Premium integrations.

Our organization is heavily reliant on Sync API, which is now considered a premium integration.   Trying to move away from Sync API is a core architecture change with very little time to design, test, and deploy.

There's a strong chance we'll suck it up and pay double the cost (moving to the Business plan) to keep the same functionality.  

Jess_Sand

Well, they are now on record as being more interested in enterprise clients, at the expense of small and medium businesses: https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenbertoni/2023/09/14/unicorn-startup-airtable-lays-off-27-of-firm-s...

Airtable, the code-free software company that was recently valued at $11.7 billion, today announced that it will lay off 237 people, or 27% of the company. Howie Liu, Airtableโ€™s founder and CEO, says the cuts are part of a plan to focus the company on winning large enterprise clients and get spending under control. The cuts follow a December 2022 layoff that shed 254 people.

Looks like a trend in this space...   Make.com (formerly Integromat) has shifted to focus on enterprise sales as well.

BillH
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

@DaveR 

Do you have a link to the Make announcement?

Irene_Pak1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Anyone see which integrations will be moved to their "Premium" category after the change? Specifically Slack? I don't see it in their Standard list in the help documentation, nor is it in their Premium list. I can't imagine it would be considered a premium one, but with the recent changes my trust level is low.