Help

Re: Airtable Pricing Updates for 2023 are a slap in the face for Pro Users.

3167 0
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Sean_Wilson
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

The new airtable pricing, is quite, frankly, a joke.

We are now dealing with a company that is actively hostile to its user base. This is generally the users within small and medium sized businesses who are growing.

I don't know about you guys, but for me, I have recommended 3 other businesses join airtable, have personally onboarded one, and have my own business on it. Not only that, but I heard about this tool from another person who was in the not-for-profit space.

A huge slap in the face for us is the change in the Pro Plan, specifically that we have to move to Team Plan which has the following downgrades:

1. Automation runs have been cut in half to 25,000 automation runs.
  2. API calls have been reduced from unlimited to 100,000.
  3. Attachment space has been cut in half from 20 GB to 10 GB.
  4. Multi-source syncing has been eliminated.

For a couple of businesses I know, that has killed them and they'll have to move to teams and pay for some of their users who have access to a single interface for the purposes of ordering steel, or sending an invoice to a client.

For now, you might be thinking, but, this is a small expense in regards to the overall revenue of a company right?

Yep. But its NOT ABOUT THAT. It is about CONFIDENCE IN A PLATFORM.

Airtable could be now considered hostile to its users. Airtable can now retroactively change pricing of the tool that you use as the foundation or a key part of your company's digital strategy. That is bad for the KEY INGREDIENT required in doing business - CONFIDENCE.

I am very open to hearing from airtable about this, especially in light of other changes such as the changes to their PDF linking and formulas which was a huge pain in the ass.

So, congrats I guess airtable? You want to up prices, try to get more enterprise, and kill growing SMB sentiment? Its a bold strategy, looking forward to see how it'll work out! You basically killed your word of mouth marketing, which to be fair is hard to track metric-wise (if you're lazy, but if you are a decent sales exec you will see your organic growth vs attributable to paid marketing growth but whatever) so for people like me and other SMB's we are **bleep** out of luck.

14 Replies 14
Henry_Ferguson
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

So sad. They could probably have captured a huge individual and small-business market at roughly $20/month/owner with unlimited (ideally) editors per base for the basic product without all the questionable extensions. A huge strength of Airtable has been the ability to collaborate.  This is unaffordable for most at $20/month/editor. 

Yup, with moves like this it is better to steer around them in a very wide angle. Great to know there're more and more alternatives and the way most people will react (and they don't all post their feelings here) will be about indeed confidence and the assumption there is another reason to do this so abruptly. Very worrying and again, if you can, then find another solution. This happens once, think again...

airtablesucks
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is there another platform we could switch to? Ive been looking I hate paying its so stupd  

hayato88888
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I'm just wondering, if smartsuite is a viable alternative to airtable?  How do they compare for your use cases?  For me, I'm using Airtable because I'm not at the level where it makes any material differences.  I'm wondering if I would have problems mentioned above down the road.

Sean_Murphy1
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Folks, any cloud provider that is interested in being profitable can and will do this as part of their long term business strategy.

This is why I'm keeping Grist and Budibase in my back pocket, for when an Airtable licensing change comes for me. Hopefully I get a few more years out of Airtable while the OSS platforms mature, but if I was starting my project over, I would do it there.