Help

Re: Is it possible to verify form information before its added to database?

Solved
Jump to Solution
2070 2
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
taylormunroe
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello,

I've built my database and it is currently working really well. I am now getting users to help grow the database. However, this information must be verified by me before it is directly updated in the database. Is there a possibility of adding the option of verification?

Thanks in advance.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Hannah_Wiginton
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hey Taylor,

There's no real way to 'stop' data before it enters the system if someone is an Editor or Owner/Creator user-level. However, here are some options that will allow you to know what's being updated:

For creating new records, you can create an automation that automatically adds a Status such as "Pending" to each new record.

Then, you can create a View that filters the 'Pending' Status so you can review the information. The data will still be "in your base", but will be filtered and you can see what was added by someone before 'Accepting'

For updating existing records, giving Editor permissions will allow someone to edit records. While you can limit changes to your base layout (fields, etc), you can't limit record data that's edited. You can always use Airtable's Revision History to review what changes were made in a record.

You could create an Interface with only specific fields to be edited, but again no way to 'stop' the data from entering or changing.

To limit editing to specific records and/or fields, we also have an app, On2Air Forms, that lets you choose specific data that can be updated.

See Solution in Thread

First, add a Single Select field with PENDING as an option. Then, create a View that filters records to show only PENDING as the Status. You could further filter this by adding a Created by field or Last Modified By field in your table and adding that to your View filter. This way only specific Users who create or update records get the PENDING status, instead of every record getting the Status.

Use the 'When a record is created' Trigger, then the Action would be Update Record

Hannah_Wiginton_0-1677270384695.png

Your Action would be insert the Record ID into the Record ID field with the blue + icon, then select the Status field and choose PENDING.

Hannah_Wiginton_1-1677270459319.png

Now every new record automatically receives a PENDING status.

Here's more information on Airtable Automations

See Solution in Thread

5 Replies 5
Hannah_Wiginton
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hey Taylor,

There's no real way to 'stop' data before it enters the system if someone is an Editor or Owner/Creator user-level. However, here are some options that will allow you to know what's being updated:

For creating new records, you can create an automation that automatically adds a Status such as "Pending" to each new record.

Then, you can create a View that filters the 'Pending' Status so you can review the information. The data will still be "in your base", but will be filtered and you can see what was added by someone before 'Accepting'

For updating existing records, giving Editor permissions will allow someone to edit records. While you can limit changes to your base layout (fields, etc), you can't limit record data that's edited. You can always use Airtable's Revision History to review what changes were made in a record.

You could create an Interface with only specific fields to be edited, but again no way to 'stop' the data from entering or changing.

To limit editing to specific records and/or fields, we also have an app, On2Air Forms, that lets you choose specific data that can be updated.

Thank you for your advice, I've been playing around with how to add the "PENDING". Could you please advise on the correct automation to put in place to enable this to occur correctly? I'm yet to have any luck with testing this out so far.

First, add a Single Select field with PENDING as an option. Then, create a View that filters records to show only PENDING as the Status. You could further filter this by adding a Created by field or Last Modified By field in your table and adding that to your View filter. This way only specific Users who create or update records get the PENDING status, instead of every record getting the Status.

Use the 'When a record is created' Trigger, then the Action would be Update Record

Hannah_Wiginton_0-1677270384695.png

Your Action would be insert the Record ID into the Record ID field with the blue + icon, then select the Status field and choose PENDING.

Hannah_Wiginton_1-1677270459319.png

Now every new record automatically receives a PENDING status.

Here's more information on Airtable Automations

Hi Hannah,

You're amazing! Thank you so much, I've just integrated it and it working perfectly.

Great! So glad you got it working!