Help

Step through forms for external users to add data multiple tables with their assigned user ID

Topic Labels: Automations
1034 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BillScheurer
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Airtable is wonderfully optimized for internal user teams. We are trying to build a simple app for external users.

We want to enable external users to enter data into a series of linked tables as part of their signup process, with the ID created for them in the initial table used to follow them through the other forms as they move through the linked tables entering data. Basically, if a form could hand off an external user to another form with the ID prefilled dynamically for each subsequent form in the string. This ID is the relational field in all tables.

We know how to use trigger actions to update tables, but we want to have a separate form for each table, with their identity established in the first table moving with them from form to form in a single session.

3 Replies 3
TheTimeSavingCo
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

You could technically do this in a round about way by getting each form to link to each other by using some native functionality outlined here

Screenshot 2023-02-04 at 5.34.38 PM.png

Let's assume your base structure is:
- Table 1 - Form 1
- Table 2 - Form 2

And so you could pass Form 1's record to Form 2 and prefill a link to Table 1 in Form 2, and you could then use lookups and automations to pull data over to Table 2, Table 3, etc

Screen Recording 2023-02-04 at 5.43.25 PM.gif

Try out this form I put together, and here's a link to the base

bazfilmer
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Airtable's native options here are relatively limited, but forms have the option to redirect on submission, and that redirect link could be configured to pre-fill the newly created {recordID} into a field on the next form that the user is redirected to.

I'd recommend using the record ID that's passed through from the first form, to pre-fill a linked field which links to the previous form's record, and so on. You can use this feature to hide the field that you're pre-populating on each form to make the user experience better. Let me know if I can help further!

BillScheurer
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thanks to everyone who shared answers to my question. You helped with my Airtable education. Passing the key info through a dynamic URL won't fulfill the entire use case we are trying to solve. Essentially, we are looking for a client login ID, and then pull our client internal ID from the first table, and then use that internal ID in every table when adding records. We are moving on to Zoho Creator (with Portal), and even there will have to struggle to learn how to script the necessary precise, reusable function. Thanks again for sharing all your generosity, knowledge and skill.