I have a database of people and one of the columns contains links to other records in that "People" database and is meant to showcase which other people this record has a relationship with. I was wondering if there is a way to update two records simultaneusly, so that when I add Person B as a relation to Person A, that relationship is reflected in both records.
As far as I am aware, the only way to create a two-way link within the same table is to use automations.
1. Create a new automation
2. Set the trigger to "When a record is updated"
3. Set the table to the table with people in it.
4. Set it to watch only the Relationship field updates.
5. Add an "Update Record" Action"
6. Set the table to the same table as before
7. Set the Record ID to the relationship field
8. Click on the Relationship tag that was added to the Record ID field so that the drop down appears.
9. Click Edit Token.
10. Change the "Choose Data" to ID instead of Name
11. Under the Fields section, add the Relationship Field.
12. Set the Value to "Airtable Record ID"
Turn on the automation and viola!
Here is a link to an example Base where the automation has been set up for you.
Hope that helps!
Hi! Thanks for the suggestions. Is there anyway for this to work for multiple Record IDs? Often there are multiple records in that "Relationship" filed but the Automation creator doesn't seem to accept that the output of the field of the updated record is a list of record IDs rathar than just the one.,
I would love for something like this to exist! I have a trends database and would like to be able to link trends together with the records showing which trends are interlinked. Right now I have to manually add the link to both records, but it would be so nice if as soon as I added it to one it was reflected in the other...