cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonnow_bl
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi,

I'm new to AirTable and trying to work out if this is possible. I'm creating a form to collect data on various buildings and the facilities they have within them. I've got a starting list of facilities that I'm going to use a multi-select list for, with a checkbox option for other. 

If "Other" is checked I'll then show a single line text field for the data collector to add another item. However, there could be many items to add. Is it possible to keep adding single line fields on an ad-hoc basis.

For example in my basic list I have:

• Printers
  • Wifi
  • Water fountain

The data collector finds that building A also has:

• Disabled access
  • Scanners
  • Computer lab
  • Café

These 4 extra items also need to be added during the data collection and so would need 4 new text inputs to be added. 

Is it possible for the user to dynamically add text inputs to a form?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Nope, you can't dynamically add text inputs to a form.  Couldn't we just use a multi line text field for this though?  What're you doing to the data afterwards that you need it to be in single fields?

See Solution in Thread

5 Replies 5
jonnow_bl

To provide a little more context I think what I really want is something like a checklist in Trello. Where Wifi, Wheelchair access and bookable PCs are a base set of data, and the data collector could continue to add items if needed.

dynamic checklist.PNG

This would be pretty tricky to do with Airtable's form. You could create a linked record field, but it only lets you link to existing records that are already in the linked table.

One clunky workaround for this would be to give people another link to click on which would take them to a 2nd Airtable form, where they could continually add new linked records (by submitting the 2nd form multiple times in a row). Then, they could go back to the 1st form and see all the new linked records to choose from.

However, for a simpler and more straightforward approach to this, your best bet would probably be to look at either Fillout or Cognito Forms:

- Cognito Forms lets your users add unlimited text line items, and then you can use Make to get the form submissions into Airtable.

- Fillout is a 3rd-party form app that was designed specifically for Airtable, and it can actually communicate natively with Airtable. What you want to do is one of its built-in features: it gives people the ability to add unlimited new line items into a linked record field.

TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Nope, you can't dynamically add text inputs to a form.  Couldn't we just use a multi line text field for this though?  What're you doing to the data afterwards that you need it to be in single fields?

I guess it could be in a text area, I thought it might be easier to add individually but seems that the area would be quicker.

Thanks, Jonno

I would point you to SafetyCulture. Much more powerful for this kind of work and generates a nice rapport after.

u can add lines in the way you want and select if the user should be forced to add a note/picture depending on the answer they give. 😄