Help

Re: How to add a new record from an interface?

2979 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Miguel_Montalvo
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello,

I am really thrilled with exploring the features of this new and game-changing Airtable functionality. I think it would be super useful to my team which deals with hundreds of social media posts per month created and edited by several of our departments.

To give this a go, I started by creating an interface which would help our education department organize their programs and link social media requests to records another table - I already have all that setup. Where I am stuck on, is on the ability of creating a new record from the interface itself (i.e. create a new upcoming program from the interface where I am browsing the programs). I cannot find an element such as “add new record” or for that matter “delete record”. Do we have to go back to the regular grid-views to add or delete records? That sounds a bit convoluted…

I am loving the new feature and I understand that it is in Beta, but I really want to use it to its fullest and would love any suggestions, or if we could add that functionality for the full version.

Thanks so much!

51 Replies 51

Sorry, I haven’t yet recorded a video. It’s on my list, though I’m not sure how soon I can get to it (partly because of the holidays). I’ll try to get to it as soon as I can.

@Miguel_Montalvo Here’s a quick rundown of one way to do it that doesn’t require scripting.

Edit: I shared a slight variation of this method on the Jan 11th episode of the BuiltOnAir Podcast, including a link for viewers to access a script to make setup in large tables a lot easier.

Oh !!! That’s awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Unfortunately, we do not have access to scripting, even in our Enterprise license. Ours is due to company restricting certain features due to security issues. So having the ability to add a button, or even a series of buttons with a user’s needs would be a wonderful addition.

Check a couple messages above your reply, where I share how to do this without using a script.

This only works if you don’t already have a filter setup in your upper filtering. I’ve found in the interfaces that if I try to add multiple filter selections, that they reset/disconnect when I press publish. So I can only have filter set on my records directly on the left(in the interface) and one on top, a filter I drag into my interface.
I had to remove all but one filter at the top for it to work correctly.
So having a button, or a fix to this filtering issue, would be quite handy.

Sean

Resetting filter options when publishing isn’t uncommon. It’s annoying to set them again, but after publishing they remain unchanged between sessions from my experience. However, are you saying that after publishing, the filters no longer work at all? If so, that sounds like a bug that should be reported to support.

Sean_Lake1
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Hi Justin.

Yes, the filters not only disconnect from their source, but don’t work at all, no matter the options I/we choose, which obviously defeats the purpose.
It works fine as I said as long as I add a filter to the listing side’s direct filtering options, but if I add more than one additional filter on that top section, as you see(or anywhere in the view), it causes all the filters to not only disconnect from their source, but not filter anything.

So yeah, I think it’s a bug or not the intentions of the programmer/developers??

Sandrine_Coosem

I wanted to add my name to the list here - an EASY way for people to add records in the interface (when allowed) would be great.

I like the idea of using interfaces for my clients, so they don’t need to go into the backend of the base. However at this moment I give them access to their interface AND extra forms so they can add content to said interfaces… it’s a bit of a hassle.

@Sean_Lake1 In that case, definitely report this to support@airtable.com so that they can get it on their list of fixes.