1067 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phillipsj
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Scenario: I have a base with a table in it.  This base has the grid view, kaban view, and a form view.  The form view allows for the creation of new records.  When using the Kaban view from within the Data section, it seems very useful in my overall goal in creating a ticketing system.

What I am trying to figure out is when creating an interface for these records using Kaban as the element, is there a way to allow for adding 'seeing and adding collaborator's comments' from w/in the Interface?  I can see these comments fine in the 'Data>Table>Kaban View' but don't know how to see these comments, let alone add new ones via the Kaban view in my interface.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Juliana
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hi there! Record comments have been added to the "Elements" section of Interfaces, which any user in the base with owner or creator permissions can add to certain pages, i.e., when you allow users to open record details. Clicking into the expanded version of the record will show you solely the data, though if someone editing the layout adds an optional Record comments element, you'd be able to see the comments for each record displayed.

So for instance, users can view your Kanban layout and if they click into the records themselves, they'll be able to see the record-specific page that might hold a comments element, such as in this gif.

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4
Juliana
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hi there! Record comments have been added to the "Elements" section of Interfaces, which any user in the base with owner or creator permissions can add to certain pages, i.e., when you allow users to open record details. Clicking into the expanded version of the record will show you solely the data, though if someone editing the layout adds an optional Record comments element, you'd be able to see the comments for each record displayed.

So for instance, users can view your Kanban layout and if they click into the records themselves, they'll be able to see the record-specific page that might hold a comments element, such as in this gif.

@Juliana The problem with record comments in interfaces is that Airtable doesn’t show us the little number in the left margin of the grid element (or any other interface element) that shows us how many comments have been added to each record. This is a key feature of Airtable’s normal grid view, but it doesn’t show up in interfaces. 

Juliana
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Thanks for surfacing this, @ScottWorld! Totally hear you on that one; this is a request that is on our team's radar as we look to improve our user's commenting experience going forward (while still being mindful of permissions and visibility concerns). It'd be my pleasure to surface this again on your behalf with my team, though I always am a fan of our Product Ideas section as well, as this is quite helpful for others with the same request in mind.

I am curious Scott whether there is a solution to your dilema.  That being said, here is what my interface is looking like after @Juliana 's solution (see screenshot).  Definately a work in progress.