cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Liz_Shaw
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi,

Is it possible to manually reorder rows in an Interface Grid Element? 

If a grid is not sorted or grouped, the "dot" handle on the left does not appear. 

If a grid is not sorted but is grouped, the "dot" handle appears, but grabbing it and moving the row does nothing. The row stays where it was.

In both scenarios, when inserting a new row, the row automatically filters to the bottom regardless of where it is inserted

I'm setting up interfaces to introduce new users in our organization to airtable. This automatic row behavior is frustrating them because they're used to things like (unsorted/unfiltered) google sheets, and want to drag and drop rows into their preferred order.

Is there a way to configure the Interface grid element so the row behavior is the same as an unsorted grid view?

Thanks!

5 Replies 5
bruceconsulting
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi Liz, 

It is not possible to drag rows to their preferred position within an Interface grid.  If the user is able to edit their Interface, they can set a sort order.  You can also insert filter elements at the top so they can only see certain records.  

If you want to talk about this further or if you ever need any more help, please schedule some time with me.  Here's my Calendly link:  https://calendly.com/d/zkg-v7y-cgb/15-minute-help-meeting

Thanks for the reply! This is a bummer. I essentially want to give one of our teams full Editor level access to grid views on a single table within our base, without them being able to view the other tables. I thought Interface Designer was going to be the answer, but I guess not. 

Joshua_Moore1

I have run into the same concern! I wish we could reorder the grid/list views in interfaces for roadmap planning. As it is we have to use the data view until this functionality is available

lucyturnertrain
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I am new to airtable and have used airfocus / asana in the past. I find this tool unnecessarily complicated. Drag and drop is such a commonplace interaction for product people (e.g. Jira). Such a faff and don't have the time to trawl through heaps of documentation to learn how to use this properly

DavidW
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hey @Liz_Shaw,

This feature is now available as part of the Visualization Enhancements we released yesterday.

To enable this for your grid element, open up the "Sort By" menu in the properties panel for the element and select a "Manual sort field" to use (red rectangle). The option highlighted with the blue rectangle allows you to make a field to use to enable this sorting functionality. Please also make sure that the permission setting "Edit records inline" is enabled on the element.

Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 2.46.03 PM.png

After that setup, you should be able to drag and drop items to your liking in your Grid element. 

Please try this out and let me know any feedback you have about it!