Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

Display the corresponding event for an item by picking the most recent event (e.g. max(created_at))

1554 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tamsin_Chislett
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have a table [Table 1] which has a list of all the items of clothing stock that we have.

I also have a table which is an events log [Table 2] of all the events that happen to those items of clothing (e.g. purchased, packed, posted, returned, etc) and a date when that event happened (created_at)

I would like to show the latest event (with the latest created_at date) for each item of clothing on [Table 1]. Essentially this is finding the max(created_at) date filtered by clothing item for Table 2 and then finding the clothing item in Table 1 and putting the event that aligns to the max(created_at) date and clothing item.

In Google Sheets I would use a MAXIFS function to find the latest created_at date for a specific item, and then use a VLOOKUP to find the matching event.

Reading other posts, I suspect this requires making a calculation sheet, but I’ve tried for a while and can’t work it out. Anyone have any thoughts?

2 Replies 2
  • Get the date of the latest event: Add a Rollup field to Table1, pointing to Table 2 and Created At field, and formula MAX(values). Call it ‘Date Last Event’.
  • We bring it to all events: Add a Lookup field to Table 2, pointing to ‘Date Last Event’ in Table1
  • We compare it with Created At: add Formula field to Table 2, with something like this IF({Date Last Event} = {Created At}, {Event Description}). Now, just the Latest Event has a field with the Description. Call it ‘Last Event Description’. Repeat this for all fields you want to show in Table 1.
  • Bring fields from Table2: add Lookup fields for all the fields you want, you will only get 1 value each.

Of course, change field names by your existing ones, and call the new fields as you want.

My Events table:

Captura de pantalla 2019-02-07_09-10-46_p. m..png

Captura de pantalla 2019-02-07_09-11-34_p. m..png

My Interactions table:

Captura de pantalla 2019-02-07_09-13-30_p. m..png

That’s perfect - thanks so much for the help - exactly what I needed it to do!