598 5
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IPS_Grow_Admin
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi. I insert fields left and right in my table. I go about my business. I come back and Airtable has reset the order of the fields clearly into the Create Date order. Which means as i build out my table - and it is a big one! - i have to manually move every single column back to the position i had created it in.

There is not bulk move function so this is painful.

Additionally, there is no reason for Airtable to do this. IF we are given an Insert Left or Insert Right function it must be because it is recognised that we want This new field in This particular location. So why does it overwrite and default back to create date order?

It is driving me nuts. Any workarounds?

Oh, also, I found an old topic post where someone suggested that “Because it is a database it does not care about field order(Airtable does not anyway)”. But this is not at all true… a database should not randomly decide to re-order fields and column order EVER.

Help! Please and thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Replies 5

Hey @IPS_Grow_Admin!
Welcome to the forums!

I’m rather curious about what you’re seeing.
Could you possibly share screenshots of the behavior?

I spent a bit of time leaning back in my chair staring at the ceiling trying to imagine what you might be describing, and I can’t think of anything.

I’ve never had any sort of undesired changes to my field orders.
Again, any screenshots or additional details would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Ben… .thanks for the welcome! Just gathered some screen shots having replicated the problem (i have spent a good couple of hours manually moving the fields i created yesterday).

Screen shots below, but it happens every time I close the base… which i do at least at the end of each day for good practice. But even if i forget to do that i close it end of each week…

It is a problem that is getting bigger and bigger since i am adding integration such as Documint and the fields are now all over the place and not where i would expect to find them so setting up document templates etc is becoming hugely laborious… and i have a lot to set up!

Any help gratefully received :slightly_smiling_face:

I create a new field:

1. I move the field to where i want it:

2. I rename the field and configure it:

3. In my Grid View it is where I put it AND in the Hide Fields drop down it is listed in the right order

4. After I have closed the base and re-opened it, the order has been defaulted to what I assume is Create Date of that field since it is no longer where I left it but has been pushed to the bottom/therefore/ most recently created

Hey there, @IPS_Grow_Admin!

Welcome to the community!

The only thing I can think of is that you’re switching Views which could display the fields in different orders. I tried your method of adding fields to the left and to the right and they stayed exactly as they were.

If you’re not switching Views, it sounds like a bug and you need to reach out to Airtable support. :slightly_smiling_face:

1. And the grid view has forced the field to the end of the grid:

Help received from Airtable Support. Phew. I have asked a follow up question which is: How often do i need to clear my cache!?!? Still awaiting that answer but putting the troubleshooting tips here for others if ever needed :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks all

Hi IPS Grow,

Thanks for contacting Airtable! So sorry to hear you are having issues with this! This certainly sounds like unexpected behavior. I have run through some troubleshooting on my end, however, have been unable to recreate the issue. This typically points to the issue being local (specific to the device or location/circumstances of access). As such, I would like to run through some initial troubleshooting with you. To start, can you please answer the following questions for me:

• Does the issue recreate after clearing your app/browser’s cache? Instructions here. :thumbs_up:
  • Does the issue recreate in an incognito window / a private browsing window?
  • Does the issue still present itself when attempting from an alternate device?
  • Do you have a different browser you can test? (Chrome / Firefox / Safari)

In the event you attempt the troubleshooting steps listed above and the issue persists, please let us know.