Help

Re: How do I hide some sheets under the same base from colleagues with editor privileges

1992 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vijay_chen
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi
Can Airtable do what I need

2 Replies 2

(I accidentally posted my reply before it was finished. Here’s the full reply)

No, Airtable does not allow you to individually hide tables for different user groups or for permission groups.

However, there are ways to achieve what you’re looking for.
It’s worth noting that the first part of this explanation is written in the context of you having an enterprise account.
If you do not have an enterprise account, then the second part of the reply will list how to modify the instructions to fit a Pro workspace.

Here’s how I would do it:

1. Create a new workspace and base. This will be the workspace where you will limit data access.
    In this case, this is where the editor users will collaborate in.

2. If you have an enterprise account, go into your admin panel and create a new user group containing all of the relevant users.

3. In your original base, create views in the tables that display the data you want the editors to have access to. Use any filters you’d like in order to achieve this.

4. Create a shared view link and enable the sync to other bases option. See the image below:

5. Go to your new base and create a new table. Select Sync Data From/Airtable Base and paste in the shared view link.

The table will populate with all of the visible records from the view you created.
This will allow you to create new fields that your collaborators will be able to edit and work in.
Any fields you create in this table can be edited or interacted with.
Any of the original fields that are from the base you synced your view from cannot be edited.

If you need the two teams to collaborate on the exact same record, then you’re going to have to resort to a very crafty method. Let me know if you want an explanation of how I achieve this. It’s quite strange/complex but it works if set up correctly.

Do that as many times as you need to in order to get your tables synced per your desired visibility.

If You Do Not Have An Enterprise Account:

You will do the same steps as the original instructions except you will stay in the same workspace, but create the new base for the editors as we did before.

Now, you will need to make sure that instead of sharing the entire workspace with the editors, you will only want to share the base with the users, not the workspace.

This will allow you to isolate their access to a base or a couple of bases depending on your workspace design. Then just follow the rest of the instructions to sync the original desired tables into the new base for the editors.

Hi Ben
Thanks, your answer was very complete, and I also need to know the specific operation method you mentioned above, could you please help me?