941 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Johannes_Bjorkm
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi all. I’m getting really happy about Airtable, but have one question I can’t seem to find an answer for (I’m sorry if it is actually obviously out there):

I’m the owner of our workspace. Is there a way to temporarily “limit” my own permission to Editor? When I use the database for daily work, it would be good to know, that I can’t accidentally mess up the fields etc. I’ve used Knack previously and like the clear distinction between messing with the actual database and using it for work as intended.

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mohamed_Swella1
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

Hi @Johannes_Bjorkman,

Welcome to Airtable Community ! :slightly_smiling_face:

You cannot change the permission temporary, but you use Locked Views

BR,
Mo

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3
Mohamed_Swella1
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

Hi @Johannes_Bjorkman,

Welcome to Airtable Community ! :slightly_smiling_face:

You cannot change the permission temporary, but you use Locked Views

BR,
Mo

If there is another owner of the workspace, you can downgrade your own permissions, however, you would need to other owner to upgrade your permissions later. You would not be able re-instate your previous permissions yourself. You can create an additional account with a different set of permissions, and switch between the accounts, but that can get pricey if you are on a paid plan.

Mohamed’s recommendation of locked views is also good.

In addition, you can look into field and table editing permissions. If you change permissions at this level, you will be able to re-instate your permissions later. You won’t be able to lock field definitions, though they do ask feedback on this use case in the support article that I linked to.

If this answers your question, please mark this post as the solution. Otherwise, could you please give a bit more details and a screen capture?

Johannes_Bjorkm
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thank you both! Locking certainly helps. I still seem to be ably to add, change and delete actual columns. I could make another user for myself that is just an editor - but a bit combersome having to log in and out. The distinction between building/tweaking the database and “using” it still makes most sense to me, but hey, can’t get it all.

Thank you for the help!